Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Granny's Salt Water Taffy


The granny square lap quilt is done at last, and I'm so happy with the way it turned out. Rather than cutting the usually smaller squares for this pattern, I used five inch squares from the two charm packs of Salt Air by Cosmo Cricket that I've been saving for something special. I absolutely love the colors in this line of vintage beach inspired prints. They remind me of the barrels of salt water taffy I used to see at the Huntington Beach candy shop when I was a kid. After some debate, I chose a grey background for this quilt rather than the more typical white because it seemed to fit with the ocean theme as well.


I kept the quilting very simple, machine stitching across the sashing in the middle and then hand quilting around the edge of each granny square with a thread color matching the center prints. It was the first time I've done any quilting by hand, and I'm glad that I tried it. It takes so much longer, but I love the way it looks. The quilt is bound in Lizzy House's Pearl Bracelet in red, a wonderful print for binding. I will definitely have to order more at some point.


While I would love to keep this quilt, I'm happy that it's going to a good home...my grandmother's, appropriately enough. The granny square craze is happening for a reason; these blocks really are a lot of fun to make. I may have to tackle this pattern again in the next few months so I can have some of my own.

Linking up to Fabric TuesdayWork In Progress Wednesday.

14 comments:

  1. hey there ! found you via WIP wednesday and love this quilt. I may need to try something similar soon! x

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks great! I'm doing something similar...will finish it by Friday, I hope!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE the idea of giant granny squares! Thanks for the tip. I have some charm packs laying around that just might make good granny squares. I love those Salt Air fabrics, too. And salt water taffy makes me think of Santa Cruz, and Bodega Bay, where we used to get it as kids. :o) Your quilt turned out great! xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks great! And I think the grey fabric was a great choice! :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very pretty and love how you used grey for the background it really does make the granny squares 'pop'! TFS
    ~Terry~

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just love the bright colors which show up so beautifully against the grey background. Love the bright design fabric, delicious.
    I've been making covers for cell phone's lately and I find people are going mad for the bright colors with any kind of animal or bird on in felt. It just started with me wearing a yellow felt pouch with a pink bird on around my neck to carry my $15 Tracfone SVC phone for seniors around my neck. I like this phone because it has large keys and letters on the screen so I don't have to strain my eyes.
    I get so much joy from seeing people's faces when they get a pouch from me .

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well done! I think I'm falling for Salt Air.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great colours Heidi, very salt water taffy!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've nominated your for the Liebster Award:
    http://missbeaujangles.blogspot.co.uk/2012/03/i-won-liebster-award.html

    ReplyDelete
  10. I just posted a project I'm working on with Salt Air as well on WIP Wednesday - LOVE LOVE LOVE the lap quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You're a blooming quilting genius! Charms for granny squares... It looks great, I haven't paid much attention to that fabric line but it's really pretty. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. So glad i found this. I have 2charm packs of salt air and coordinating solids. Was thinking I would make a baby quilt. This layout is the perfect thing!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hey, this is such a nice quilt! Do you know what the finished size was?

    ReplyDelete

Aren't you the sweetest for leaving a comment! Due to all the ads that bombard this section, I have to moderate everything first, but look for your comment to post in a day or two. Thanks so much for writing!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...