Friday, March 16, 2012

Finding Lemonade

You know that old saying about making lemonade out of lemons? Here's your proof...


Last Sunday night I started working on the Uptown Clutch from Sue Kim's beautiful book Bags: the Modern Classics. Unfortunately I was both rushed and stressed at the time, and I made a dreadful mess of the pattern pieces as I cut them. I ended up setting the whole thing aside and promised myself that I would try to attack the project again later when I had time. This morning I needed a change of pace, so I pulled the pieces back out. I made a few changes and did the best I could to save it.


It's a simple little clutch, nowhere near as fancy as it was originally meant to be, but I'm happy with it. I love the Parisian architectural print from the Etchings line by 3 Sisters for Moda., and I like the contrast of the solid green and gray with the patterned fabric. There's definitely room for improvement, but considering that this is my first clutch and that it started out as a total disaster, I'm marking this down as a success.


On another note, I apologize for not posting quite as much this week. I've been working feverishly to finish a special project for my mother-in-law, Mary. Her dear friend Lana was recently diagnosed with advanced cancer, and the doctors have told her that she now has only a few months left to live. Mary, being the incredibly thoughtful woman that she is, gathered squares of fabric with loving messages written on them from all of Lana's friends and family, and she asked me to put them together in a quilt for her to enjoy. I chose not to post pictures of the quilt here due the private nature of the writing on it, but I would deeply appreciate it if you would remember Lana in your prayers as she and her family walk the difficult road ahead. She is such an amazing woman, and even now is continually reminding all of us to be thankful for every moment we enjoy on this earth. So go hug your children and loved ones and enjoy the rest of this day before you!

Linking up to Finish It Up Friday, Sew & Tell Friday, and Confessions of a Fabric Addict.

8 comments:

  1. Love the clutch, prayers going out :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think your clutch turned out lovely. You should definitely mark this one a success. And it sounds like you've had a very important job...putting the quilt together for your M-I-L's friend. What a loving thing to do.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great fabrics and the stripe is perfect

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the clutch, Heidi! It sounds like it was frustrating making it. Kudos to you for sticking it through.
    What a nice gift for Lana! How sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bless you, Heidi, for making the quilt for Lana, and for your prayers. She'd be so happy to know that total strangers are learning from her through you: thankfulness for each day and for each person dear to us.
    Much love,
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the clutch, especially the architecture print!

    Sending positive thoughts your way!

    ReplyDelete
  7. this clutch is amazing :)
    great post!

    http://bubblemylicorice.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dear Heidi,
    Your hours spent putting lovingly assembling Lana's friendship quilt were such a precious gift to her, and to me as well.
    Thank you and God bless you,
    Mary

    ReplyDelete

Aren't you the sweetest for leaving a comment! Due to all the ads that bombard this section, I have to moderate everything first, but look for your comment to post in a day or two. Thanks so much for writing!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...