Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Zakka Block Quilt


I had planned to make the full size Zakka Block Quilt this week, but when I thought about the fact that I still have the girls' three quilts to finish as well as our own quilt to start -- well, it seemed like throwing another lap quilt into the mix was a bad idea. The solution? Make it a mini.


I've been hanging on to a charm pack of Liz Scott's Domestic Bliss collection for a while now. I pulled out eight squares and cut them into quarters, then paired them with a grey colored linen blend for the front. I added a few full size charm squares for the back along with a pink herringbone print from Joel Dewberry's Modern Meadow. The piece is quilted in a simple zig zag pattern and bound in the same grey linen.


This was my first time ever using linen in a quilt I made, and I have to say that I love the feel of it...so soft and cozy. I may end up trying this on a larger quilt at some point. It really does look lovely. By the way, I apologize for the slightly blurry look of the top photo in particular. I was fighting the wind as I took my pictures this evening, and just couldn't get that quilt to hold still for a hardly a second...

Linking up to TNT Thursday & the Zakka Along.

15 comments:

  1. Very sweet. I'm debating 'mini' myself....

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is adorable, very, very pretty. Nice job.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is lovely, and gorgeous fabrics. Weirdly, I have just finished a quilt that is exactly the same design/layout as this! I used Ed Emberley Animal print fabrics. I really wanted each block to stand out so I surrounded each one with white. I hope to photograph and post about it later today. Great minds think alike :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Going mini is such a good idea and already made you want to go large - it's lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. nice I might give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good for you, Heidi. Your mini is adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I still have yet to try linen. It looks fabulous in the quilt. Love how it makes the domestic bliss pop!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely! I am making mine small too. I have too many big quilts to finish and didn't want to end up with another UFO.

    ReplyDelete
  10. So pretty! I wasn't sure how I would like linen in a full quilt either. Good idea to try a mini first.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love this - the zig zag quilting is perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very pretty! I like the quilting. I hadn't thought of zig zag.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I hope to get this one done eventually but like you I am swamped by other quilt WiPs. This one is fun. And you are hosting the 'Get Acquainted' blog hop this Tuesday...will be back.

    ReplyDelete

Aren't you the sweetest!! Thanks for making my day by leaving a comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...