Tuesday, May 15, 2012

The Nana Bag


Better late than never...my mom's Mother's Day gift is done. I call it the Nana Bag, which is what my daughters call their grandmother. I designed this purse myself so that it would be exactly the way my mother wanted it. It was a little scary, seeing as how I've never designed a purse in my life. There were times when I wasn't entirely sure that this bag was going to have a happy ending. Thankfully it all came out all right, and I'm so delighted that she'll be able to use it every day.


The fabrics for this one are both Denyse Schmidt. Mom wanted the bag to be predominantly brown, so we chose Posie in Brown from Flea Market Fancy for the exterior. To brighten things up a bit, I added a turquoise print from the Daisy Mae collection for the lining. A cheery teal zipper on top also gives a nice pop of color against the brown. 


Mom asked for a large front pocket with a velcro fastener and a zipper opening on top. I tried to make it roomy enough for all of the things she has to carry with her on a daily basis without making it too bulky. I like the long shape of it, and may end up making a version of this for myself this summer.

My Small Projects Sew Along list now looks like this:

1. gifts for Bunny's AWANA teachers & aides DONE
2. purse for my mother DONE
3. purse for my mother-in-law DONE
4. Zakka quilt magnets DONE
5. Zakka mug rug
6. Zakka block quilt
7. birthday gift for my trainer
8. pencil pouch for Bear
9. finish Modern She Made Swap project DONE
10. purse for myself
11. gifts for two friends at church
12. bind Bear's quilt
13. quilt & bind Bunny's quilt
14. quilt & bind Mouse's quilt
15. pillows for the family room

Hey, we're a third of the way there!

Linking up with Fabric Tuesday.

5 comments:

  1. Oh it looks great! Way to go on your own design!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nana will be pleased. You are just marking them off. Go Heidi!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Look at you go, Heidi! You're rocking your small projects list!! Love the purse you made for your mom.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's gorgeous!! Love those prints and it's a fab design. Although I'd say that's a big make, you are rocking that list!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love it - the shape, how it zips closed, the front lined pocket, the bright lining - awesome! I look forward to seeing more Heidi originals! So, do you have 3 girls then?

    ReplyDelete

Aren't you the sweetest for leaving a comment! Due to all the ads that bombard this section, I have to moderate everything first, but look for your comment to post in a day or two. Thanks so much for writing!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...