Monday, May 14, 2012

The Sewing Counter


Well, it seems like my sewing space is on the move again. While I loved having a sewing room all to myself, my little Mouse wasn't quite ready to move in with the big girls yet, so we've put her back into her old room (i.e. my sewing room). The bulk of my sewing storage is staying in there with her, but I needed another place to do my daily work. So I've commandeered a portion of our kitchen counter -- what I now like to call "The Sewing Counter."


In the long run, it's probably a good move. I can work downstairs while Mouse takes her naps, Bear plays in the classroom (what we call our combination play room/school room), and Bunny does her morning classes. The tall counter is also a whole lot easier on my back when I do my cutting, and I pulled an assortment of bins for holding my fabric, scraps, and various notions. I get so excited every time I see that fabric stack, thinking about the projects I'm planning to make with them. You can see my Retro Kitchen mini quilt hanging above the counter along with a darling sketch that my sister drew of our daughters last year.


My sewing machine sits on the kitchen table with my first pincushion and my favorite snack -- yogurt pretzels from Sprouts. My girls beg for these more than any other treat. I warn you, though, they're highly addictive...


I have the pieces all cut out for my mom's purse...a belated Mother's Day gift. She, being the wonderful person that she is, insisted that I make everyone else's presents before starting on hers. I'm hoping to get it finished today if I can.

Happy Monday!

10 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. can't wait to see the bag! happy monday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. nice to be adjustable, huh? at least you have a space to sew. anxious to see the gift-purse....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the fabric you're using to make a purse. Looking forward to seeing what you come up with. It's funny how we just rename parts of our houses and move on, right? My happy corner is a small corner in our family room/ dining room and I think I actually get a lot more done because I'm right there with the kids.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've never had my own sewing room, I"m not sure that I'd like it. I think I'd feel like I'd been bad and had been sent away to be by myself. I've always worked at my desk in the livingroom. Where I don't miss anything that's going on :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I say whatever works for ya Hiedi. Its working with what you've got. You saw how small my work space is, but it works for now. Can't wait to see your moms purse when its finished.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just posted about this very subject on my own blog today...www.eamylove.blogspot.com - and I love your sewing space!!! Your Retro Kitchen wall hanging is so cool...I was so glad to see you had described it for us. I think it's great that your family will remember seeing you while you're sewing, and your projects are always so awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't think I'll ever have my own room until the kid lets are off to college.

    Do you homeschool? I'm curious bc I homeschool...

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have moved my room 4 times in 5 years. I am doing it again this month : ) I wish I could make up my mind, or I wish my kids could!

    ReplyDelete
  10. can we see the retro kitchen quilt closer. it looks so cute.

    ReplyDelete

Aren't you the sweetest for leaving a comment! Due to all the ads that bombard this section, I have to moderate everything first, but look for your comment to post in a day or two. Thanks so much for writing!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...