Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Sweet Dreams



There were moments when I wasn't sure who would come out alive...me or this quilt. Not since my humility quilt have I been so ready to take a project and throw it in the trash can out of frustration. Thankfully we have both survived the struggle and are hopefully better people because of it (well, me anyway).



This wall hanging was made using only fat quarters or smaller pieces, hence the occasional piecing line in a place where I'd rather not have one. It's far from perfect -- you can see that the dimensions got a little wonky as I went -- but that's okay. My characters are from the imaginations of Heather Ross and Lizzy House; the princess would rather be playing with her pet unicorn but must instead sit on that lousy stack of mattresses while being serenaded by the minstrel and his dog. The smaller pieces were attached through applique, but most of this quilt was pieced together. Trying to join those mountains with the sky was a nightmare -- the never ending cycle of sewing and ripping out seams was almost my undoing -- but there they are, if a little bit more pointed than I had originally planned them to be. I bound the quilt in a black and white stripe so that it will match the girls' quilts when I make those as well. By the end of the day, this quilt will be hanging in their room where they can happily find the pea in the stack of mattresses for the 457th time.

Though it was a real challenge, I'm happy that I made this quilt. It was a stretch and I've learned more about what I can do and what I like to do. It's been a good adventure. Now on to the next one!

Linking up to Work in Progress Wednesday & Finish it Up Friday.

11 comments:

  1. How beautiful, well worth the work you put into it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent job, Heidi... can't wait to show David when he comes home. Katie grunted her approval through the bottle in her mouth.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great job, Heidi! I love the bright and cheerful colours you used!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's so cute!!! I love this wallhanging. :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gorgeous wall hanging! It looks like it was worth all the effort put into it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I look forward to seeing this quilt and being shown the location of the pea! Great job, Heidi.(-:

    ReplyDelete
  7. You did an amazing job on this!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks great! Love that princess in the pea in the tower.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks wonderful - love love love it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. How adorable, Heidi! Kudos to you for not giving up!

    ReplyDelete

Aren't you the sweetest for leaving a comment! Due to all the ads that bombard this section, I have to moderate everything first, but look for your comment to post in a day or two. Thanks so much for writing!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...