Friday, February 3, 2012

Over the (Half) Moon



It's become a game for my three girls to see who can be the first one to spot the moon in the sky whenever we go out in the evenings. Bunny is usually the first to see it, and Bear is especially thrilled when it's a "cheshire cat smile" moon. Mouse just points in the same general direction as her sisters and squeals happily even though she doesn't really get what all the excitement's about. So when my Half Moon Modern charm squares arrived in the mail, I knew that I wanted to make something pretty to hang on the wall of my sewing room, and that I wanted it to include some reference to the moon. It's a little abstract, I suppose, but you can see the half moon in the bottom left corner of this mini quilt. I love the patterns in this fabric line and enjoyed toying with different combinations as I put the half square triangles together. This is the first quilt I've made where I've hand stitched my own binding (Woven from the Echo collection) to the back (one of the scissor prints in white and gray). It's a lot of work -- I can't imagine doing it on a full size quilt -- but I must say that the effect is well worth it. I can't tell you how much pleasure it gave me to make this quilt. And every time I look at it, I'll be thinking of my little moon gazers.

http://www.canoeridgecreations.com/2012/02/sew-modern-monday.html

7 comments:

  1. This turned out great! That binding fabric is one of my favorites, too. Excellent!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Heidi,
    Another winner! Help us remember to 'moon-hunt' when you come to visit us, please.
    M

    ReplyDelete
  3. Visiting from Canoe Ridge Creations! What a bright and cheerful addition to your sewing space! Great work!
    Jamie

    ReplyDelete
  4. what a sweet quilt, love the fact that it reminds you of your game with the kiddies xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I too love this fabric range. I have just received a 5" charm square pack on the mail and now must decide what to make with them. Congratulations on your hand stitched binding. I confess to being very reluctant to doing bindings by hand and machine all mine. I have been inspired to joine {sew} modern monday as well by all the great projects that people have been sharing. Maybe will meet you again there. Cheers, Karen

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aw, another sweet story. Lovely post and lovely quilt!

    ReplyDelete

Aren't you the sweetest for leaving a comment! Due to all the ads that bombard this section, I have to moderate everything first, but look for your comment to post in a day or two. Thanks so much for writing!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...