Thursday, February 16, 2012

A Finish and a Start


When my grandmother was a little girl, she had a quilt featuring the iconic Sunbonnet Sue character. This week she called me up and asked if I could make her a decorative potholder with Sue in the center to remind her of that quilt. Her requirements were that it be 7 inches square with a cream background, blue fabrics, and a navy blue border. I added in a few shades of red and brown to break it up a little.



The result looks fairly vintage, but that's definitely the look she was going for. It will fit in well with all the antiques in her little kitchen.



Yesterday morning I had an idea come to me for a mini quilt. I grabbed the new pack of California Girl charm squares that came in the mail last week and got to work at the kitchen table while my kids played in the family room. The picture above doesn't do these lovely fabrics justice, but when I tried to take a photo outside, my project nearly blew away in the wind. I still have some hand sewing to do on the quilt top before I start quilting it, but I'm happy with how it's turning out. I've been needing something pretty to hang next to my desk, and this will be perfect. Hopefully I'll have pictures ready to post tomorrow!

1 comment:

  1. Dear Heidi,
    Both projects are super. I hope your Grandmther is enjoying her Sunbonnet Sue pot holder!(-:
    Your finished "Home Sweet Home" California mini-quilt is lovely. I remember fondly those fruit orchards 'way back when'.
    Hugs to the girls.
    Love,
    Mary

    ReplyDelete

Aren't you the sweetest for leaving a comment! Due to all the ads that bombard this section, I have to moderate everything first, but look for your comment to post in a day or two. Thanks so much for writing!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...