Thursday, August 15, 2013

Zakka Activity Pillow


So Miss Mouse has been feeling a little unsettled by this whole "school" business. Suddenly her big sisters are busy with fun activities, and she's not been entirely sure what to do about it. My parents and I have been trying some different ideas to keep her engaged during class time, and when I saw this week's Zakka project for the Patchwork, Please! sew along, I decided to turn it into something special for Mouse.


I've been dying to make this project ever since I first opened my copy of the book, but unfortunately wall space is at a premium right now. Instead, I made one envelope block, one pencil block, and one book block from Ayumi's "Books for Baby" quilt. I sewed them together and turned them into a little activity pocket pillow.


I didn't have a pillow form on hand that was the right size, so I decided to just stuff the cover itself. Honestly, if I had to do this over again, I would have made this into a separate piece and sewed my own little pillow form to put inside. Hindsight always gets me... Still, this works well enough. I can tuck flashcard rings, books, and snacks into the pockets for Mouse to find when she dances (yes, dances) into our new reading corner every morning at the start of school.

It's just a little thing, really, but sometimes it's the little things that make the biggest difference with kids.

Linking up to Finish It Up Friday and the Zakka Along.

17 comments:

  1. So very, very precious! She is bound to feel extra special with this pillow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely idea! i'm sure it will help her feel more relaxed and happy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh this us really really sweet and special! Clever way to change up the patterns!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That s a great idea - and I agree about the little things.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You create the most special and lovely pillows! It's so true that the "little things" matter the most!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would have never thought to make a pillow from the pattern. Great!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. fantastic idea, Heidi. It's such a sweet pillow.

    ReplyDelete
  8. what a great idea, Heidi! the pillow is so cute. Hoping you have a wonderful school year.
    p.s. I love, love, love your new header!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great Idea, my granddaughter would love on of these.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a beautiful little present for hrt - long may it keep her occupied!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That is sew cute and it turned out great! I love it!
    xo jan

    ReplyDelete
  12. what a cute little present! I love how you combined several projects and made a completely new one :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. So cute!! A great idea for a little one!

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a brilliant idea! Someone is very lucky!

    ReplyDelete
  15. QUE BONITO,PARABÉNS.VALÉRIA.(BRASIL).

    ReplyDelete

Aren't you the sweetest for leaving a comment! Due to all the ads that bombard this section, I have to moderate everything first, but look for your comment to post in a day or two. Thanks so much for writing!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...