Monday, August 19, 2013

Framed


This weekend I tackled my very first frame purse, and overall I think we can call this a positive experience. My fingers are still pretty sore after sewing the bag into the frame last night, but otherwise it was fairly painless. The frame is a large one -- about 13" from one end to the other -- so this is a full size handbag, not just a coin purse. I'm not going to pretend that this was the best sewing job I've ever done -- that visible hand stitching on the lining around the inside of the frame makes me a little antsy -- but for a first attempt, it turned out okay. I used this tutorial to draft my pattern and sew the bag together, adding in an extra layer of Pellon 70 interfacing to help the bag stand up the way I wanted it to.


I enjoyed pairing Anna Maria Horner's Field Study print with one from Juliana Horner's new Rosette collection. The colors look so perfect together and I love the mother-daughter connection. I added a wood grain print from Aviary 2 for the handles which seemed like more fun than buying a set of wooden handles for the top.

This bag is packed and ready for fall. Now if the weather would just cooperate...

12 comments:

  1. Very nice! Did you follow a pattern? I am on the look out for one! I bought a frame at the festival of quilts, but haven't planned my project yet...

    ReplyDelete
  2. You did a great job. My first frame purse was a sticky gluey mess by the end!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I love it Heidi! I was wondering about the handles - they almost look like leather.I have made one sewn in bag. I used polyfilament because my stitching looked terrible. Yours looks great. Even though it was hard - I think I prefer it to the glued in type.
    great job. cute!
    xo jan

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh I love that fabric combo! I have some of that Juliana Horner print for a tunic for my daughter. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That looks great. And I like your idea for handles.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is so great! I've never tried one. Glad it turned out so well for you

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very cute! I love both fabrics.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really like this bag! The fabric choices are wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Another lovely bag Heidi. Good on you! I'm not game to try one of those tricky looking frames yet! Love your fabric choices.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very cute! I'm impressed. I always wondered how those frames got attached... will have to check out the tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I really lurve your choice of fabrics! And thank you so much for the link to the tutorial! Jen

    ReplyDelete

Aren't you the sweetest for leaving a comment! Due to all the ads that bombard this section, I have to moderate everything first, but look for your comment to post in a day or two. Thanks so much for writing!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...