Friday, November 30, 2012

Rainy Day


The quiet of a rainy day is so soothing to my spirit, and yesterday was no exception. Even with three little active girls in the house, it was a remarkably peaceful time. Michael Buble's Christmas album crooned cheerfully in the morning, Bunny and I enjoyed watching White Christmas in the afternoon while Bear and Mouse napped, and I got the chance to do a little sewing. Over the next few months, I plan to both replace all our old potholders with new ones and cover all the family room pillows. Rather than do it all at once, I'm trying to just fit in a project whenever time or inspiration give me the opportunity. It's far less stressful, and I figure that this way there will be a lot more variety in my designs over the long run.


I used Amy's tutorial for Japanese x & + scrappy quilt blocks which I've been wanting to try for a while. It's a great little block, and so perfect for scrap busting.


I backed it in a Suburbia print that I've been saving for kitchen projects. It has a cute retro vibe going on that I love.

My other finish yesterday was my project for the Happy Little Pouch Hop which I'll be posting about on Monday. I enjoyed it immensely and can't wait to share it with you. Look for two posts on Monday since it also marks the official start of Sew Mama Sew's bi-annual Giveaway Day. I'll be going through my stash this weekend to put together a little stack of goodies for one of you to win. This event is huge -- definitely check it out if this is your first time!

The rain is falling outside my windows again, and I have a stack of hexagons calling my name. See you back here tomorrow for Fresh Sewing Day...

Linking up to Finish It Up Friday.

12 comments:

  1. A rainy day with little girls, Michael Buble, Christmas movies and a sewing machine sounds amazing. I'm hoping for an afternoon just like that this weekend!

    Your potholder is beautiful. I'm making some to give as Christmas gifts this year. The Insul-Bright is a bit tricky to work with (I add a layer of cotton batting also) so I think I may try your straight line quilting on the next set. It looks great and will (hopefully) move through the machine more easily than the FMQ I've been attempting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love those pot holders! New Potholders have been on my to-do list for quite some time! I love the block you used!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had never heard of the Giveaway Day. It sounds like a lot of fun, thanks for providing the link. Now to decide which item I want to use... :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. love your pot holder, Heidi. This is such a wonderful idea, I've been thinking about x and + block for so long but did not give it a try so far. It might be time to change that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It looks great. i'm thinking about raiding my orphan block box and making a few pot holders. I figure the mistakes would 't matter under a pan of cookies!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You have a lovely way with scraps! Beautiful pot holder....inspiring. We are having rain, too. I love it! We've had so little.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like a wonderful rainy day! And your potholder is fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like your approach to quilting - I've been feeling like that lately as well. :) Your potholder is so pretty, and I love the retro-ness!

    ReplyDelete
  9. so cute and what a relaxing way to spend a rainy day!

    ReplyDelete
  10. very fun to make potholders - I love that x and + block!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very cute pot holder. I wish I could wave spent my rainy day quilting. I

    ReplyDelete
  12. What an adorable pot holder :) I've been wanting to replace my old ones as well- definitely on my to-do list!

    ReplyDelete

Aren't you the sweetest for leaving a comment! Due to all the ads that bombard this section, I have to moderate everything first, but look for your comment to post in a day or two. Thanks so much for writing!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...