Monday, August 6, 2012

Vintage Holiday QAL Week 1: Blocks 1 & 2


I'm so excited to finally welcome you to start of the Vintage Holiday Quilt Along! Since several of you have mentioned that this is your first QAL, I figured that it would be good to lay down a few ground rules before we get started...

1. No guilt allowed. We all have life going on every day: deadlines, illnesses, and children who don't let us sleep at night (that would be me). If you can't keep up with the weekly pace, don't worry about it. Do what you can when you can. We'll all still be here when you're ready to join us.

2. Please share. If you haven't joined the flickr group yet, do it as soon as possible (just ask if you're new to that and need help). It's a great way to get ideas and be encouraged. When you have the time to drop by, leave nice comments for others to read -- they mean more than you know.

3. Forget perfection. If you try to get every cut and seam in this quilt perfect, you will not only suck all the joy out of the project, but you will drive yourself (and probably several people around you) crazy. Do your best and let it go.

Every Monday I'll be posting my version of the assignment for that week. If you have any questions, you can email me at hjstaples@gmail.com, leave a comment on any post at Fabric Mutt, or leave a comment on the questions discussion thread in the flickr group. We're here to help!


When I decided to use my hoard of Denyse Schmidt prints, I realized that this quilt wasn't going to look quite as Christmassy as I had originally planned. Yet when I sat down to cut the fabric this weekend, I loved the way things started coming together. Our family Christmas decorations are a mix of old and new, lots of little things with personal meaning and definitely leaning toward the vintage side of things. I think this quilt is going be right at home with us.

We're doing blocks one and two this week, and here they are...

Block One
Block Two
I warn you, these blocks are addictive. Once I got started, I couldn't stop. It's incredible to me how adding the grey ornament top and white sashing along the edge just transforms them. I love that the blocks are fairly simple to put together and that they have so much room for creativity. We're all going to end up with such unique versions of this quilt.


I'm so happy to be doing this quilt along with all of you!

Linking up to the Let's Get Acquainted Monday Link-up.

13 comments:

  1. These blocks are looking so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those blocks are adorable!! Can't wait to make some more!

    ReplyDelete
  3. They are turning out really cute! I can't wait to finish up my first two blocks this week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! I love your "take" on these!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Heidi, I really love the fabric choices and colors. This will be a very versatile quilt-- "ornaments" at Christmas time; "hanging lanterns" for other seasons. Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Heidi, those look wonderful! Love your fabric choices!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your fabric choices. I'm terrible at picking colors so I'm going with Blitzen. Fabric was just shipped today, so I am already a bit behind! I'm having some problems getting logged into flicker but I hope to get my techy husband to help me out.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have my pattern and my fabric is on the way! Hope to get started later this week!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ooh I've been waiting for this one to start and your blocks look great! Love your fabric choice!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love your blocks! I started mine last night and am so excited about this QAL! Thanks so much for putting this all together!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi,
    Where do I find the instructions for these blocks?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Laura, you can buy Camille's pattern at http://thimbleblossoms.bigcartel.com/product/vintage-holiday-pattern-147-pdf-pattern. Enjoy!

      Delete

Aren't you the sweetest for leaving a comment! Due to all the ads that bombard this section, I have to moderate everything first, but look for your comment to post in a day or two. Thanks so much for writing!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...