Friday, August 31, 2012

Taking Flight


When I held my last job as an assistant principal before I became a stay at home mom, one of my favorite coworkers was our school librarian. She was a sweet young woman who truly enjoyed her work with the students. My friend also had a love for all things vintage, and you would often see her crossing the campus dressed like a Hollywood starlet from the 1940's. I was thrilled to attend her wedding a few years back, and I was just as excited to hear that she's expecting a little girl this November. My sister and I and our five daughters will be visiting her on her lunch break tomorrow, and I wanted to bring her something special for the baby...a quilt, of course.


Millie's Closet by Lori Holt for Riley Blake Designs seemed the perfect fabric choice for this project. I knew that my friend would enjoy the retro vibe of the prints, and the colors are girly yet bright. I've always had a weakness for flying geese patterns, and that led to the name for this quilt: Taking Flight.


The quilting is simply a few rows of a wavy stitch on my sewing machine which I stretched as long and large as possible. I love the way the fabric, pattern, and stitching all work together to give this a vintage modern feel.


The back of the quilt is one of the floral bouquet prints from the collection along with a strip of white muslin. I like using muslin for quilts from time to time; it's so soft and seems to get softer with every washing. For binding, I used Kona Red which ties the whole package together nicely.


Is there anything better than making gifts for the people you love? I think that those are often the projects I enjoy the most...

Enjoy your weekend, my friends. 

11 comments:

  1. Yet another gorgeous quilt Heidi! I am sure your friend will be thrilled with it xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you are right. Making gifts for the people you love is a fantastic thing....as is your quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with you about making gifts for people. It's like I'm giving part of me and showing them just how special they are. And they can be reassured of that everytime they snuggle up under my quilts.
    Looks great. great fabric choice.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love it. Question??? I am using this sorta same pattern for the new Out to Sea by Sarah Jane fabric, but I like your panels on the end. In your professional opinion do you think this pattern would be good for this fabric, my grandson loves the maps and I was thinking that would be great panels on the end. I cant read patterns very well but the tutorials are great. thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great gift! She will love it! I wonder what your former colleague is going to dress her baby in once born.. Is she going for vintage clothes?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your quilt is very cute and your friend is just going to love it! I think those gifts are the most special!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Handmade gifts are the best, especially for our non-crafty friends! Beautiful quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful, I love everything about it! great name too :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a perfect little quilt. It sounds like it's well suited to the recipient!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is beautiful! I won a jelly roll of this same line in a giveaway and I've been pondering how to treat it. I love the way you have played up the vintage feel. What a thoughtful gift! I agree, making for friends brings out my best.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Just got my check for over $500.

    Sometimes people don't believe me when I tell them about how much you can earn by taking paid surveys from home...

    So I show them a video of myself actually getting paid over $500 for taking paid surveys to finally set the record straight.

    ReplyDelete

Aren't you the sweetest for leaving a comment! Due to all the ads that bombard this section, I have to moderate everything first, but look for your comment to post in a day or two. Thanks so much for writing!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...