Thursday, October 18, 2012

Windowpanes


My husband is leaving tomorrow for North Carolina where he'll spend four days with his brother and sister-in-law. (Yes, prayers for sanity as I entertain three little girls for the weekend are quite welcome.)  I wanted to send along a little something with him for these two special people, and a pillow cover seemed like one of the easiest things to fit in my husband's carry-on luggage.


Last month I quartered a set of six-inch charm squares of The Birds and the Bees by Tula Pink for a different project that didn't end up happening. Today I raided that stack for twenty-five squares, using all the prints in the collection except the lady bugs -- I love those too, but I thought these looked a bit more grown up. I used Essex Linen in Natural to pull it all together, quilting it just like my mini Zakka Block Quilt from last spring. I love the different snapshots you get in each square; Tula's work is always so incredibly detailed. I'm calling this one "Windowpanes."


The backing is one of my favorite Anna Maria Horner prints from Lou Lou Thi. The cover ended up being a large one, fitting up to a 21" size pillow. It will be hard to part with it, but I'm so happy to know that it's going to a good home. 

I'll do my best to get all the Vintage Holiday and Long Weekend giveaway winners up first thing tomorrow, but we have a million things on the morning schedule, the first of which is getting my husband to the airport on time. If you don't see a post in the morning, check back later -- I promise to get it up before night falls!

Linking up to Finish It Up Friday.

18 comments:

  1. oh this pillow cover is a perfect gift to send along - really lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely! Wonderful use of Tula's fab print! Love the backing too :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. nice pillow! not sure how old the girls are but if old enough try some salt dough ornaments. easy peasy. 2 c flour, 1 cup salt, 1 cup water. make dough. shape by hand or by cookie cutter. make a hole. bake in oven or microwave till hard but not brown. let cool. paint. seal with clear chellac spray
    voila! handmade holiday ornaments..........originals...

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is gorgeous! Really shows off the tula prints. Good luck this weekend ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This pillow cover is lovely, Heidi! What a nice gift.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I absolutely adore this! I will be using it for inspiration!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. so lovely, Heidi. Hope your weekend is great and the girls will be complete angels the whole time.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have not seen these Tula fabrics before but they look so lovely framed in linen. A lovely cushion gift.

    ReplyDelete
  9. lovely, can't wait to dig into my Birds and Bees Stash...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh Anna Maria and Tula - what more can a girl want?! Fab cushion, love it :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I always love your color combinations so much. Beautiful fabric choices!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lovely lovely gift Heidi. If tomorrow's post doesn't happen, don't stress. We will still be here when you do get it up ; )

    ReplyDelete
  13. They are going to love the cushion cover, love the backing fabric! Good luck with the little ones..

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful pillow cover, Heidi! The colors are fantastic and go well with the background fabric. I'm sure they'll love it!

    ReplyDelete
  15. So pretty. What a great use of small little squares. That backing is one of my favorite AMH prints as well. Such a great large print!

    ReplyDelete

Aren't you the sweetest for leaving a comment! Due to all the ads that bombard this section, I have to moderate everything first, but look for your comment to post in a day or two. Thanks so much for writing!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...