Friday, October 26, 2012

Blogger's Quilt Festival: Fall 2012


My entry for the Blogger's Quilt Festival this fall is a piece I made last July for the Modernista swap. I call it Perspective -- you can read the original post here. This mini quilt is actually one block from Elizabeth Hartman's Looptastic quilt pattern in her beautiful book Modern Patchwork. All of the fabrics for the two circles are from Anna Maria Horner's Lou Lou Thi and Innocent Crush collections. The background is Antique Architecture from Etchings by 3 Sisters, and the quilt is bound in Acorn Chain from Modern Meadow by Joel Dewberry. The circles were sewn together and then appliqued to the background using a simple zig zag stitch. I then hand quilted the piece using red embroidery thread around the outside and inside of the circles.


Just looking at this quilt reminds me of quiet evenings spent with my husband, laughing together over favorite movies while I cut out shapes and worked on hand quilting and binding. This was the first time I had ever taken so much time on a quilt before, and the enjoyment I took in that slow process led me to name the quilt as I did.

The past month has given me even more perspective on how and why I sew, to slow down and truly enjoy what I'm doing rather than just hurrying from one project to the next. Though I considered several quilts for my festival entry, in the end, it seemed appropriate to remember this little quilt which helped me take my first step toward a more peaceful creativity.

Blogger's Quilt Festival Stats
Finished quilt measures: approximately 22" square
Special techniques used: applique, hand quilting
Quilted by: me
Best Category: Doll/Mini Quilt, Wall Hanging, ROYGBIV Quilt

Linking up to the Blogger's Quilt Festival at Amy's Creative Side as entry #177.

33 comments:

  1. Beautiful!! Love the hand quilting :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh this is one of my favs! Love your fabric choices!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a fabulous choice for the competition Heidi, it's just beautiful. I do a lot of hand quilting and yes it is slow, frustratingly so at times, but the results are well worth it. And this is an example of that. It's beautiful :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. So nice! The background fabric looks great. Love the chunky hand stitching!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a beautiful mini! Good luck in the festival!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is soooo pretty! I love the fabrics.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the background you've chosen! It's a stunning mini!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is gorgeous, and your explanation of what it means to you just adds to its beauty.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such a great quilt, and I like the background ; )

    ReplyDelete
  10. You KNOW I love this quilt - it will soon be hanging in my apartment and I will send you a picture!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. i love this quilt, beautifully made. I have this background fabric, i managed to find it on sale a few weeks ago, just waiting for the right project to use it-your example is truly fantastic! Ange x

    ReplyDelete
  12. I really love this quilt, I am so pleased to see it here in the festival. I love the colours and the design. That bit of hand quilting really finishes it so nicely.

    ReplyDelete
  13. So pretty! The background fabric is awesome, and I love the hand quilting.

    ReplyDelete
  14. It is gorgeous - a great festival entry!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Gorgeous! Love the print that you used for the background - a lot of people would've gone with a solid but that one makes so much sense and adds so much texture!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I still love this quilt - those fabrics are so pretty together and your hand quilting looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love everything about this! It's perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Beautiful quilt, Its great that it brings you lovely memories :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Im all about colour in my quilts so I was immediately drawn to this one. It's beautiful. I think it was a stroke of creative genius to use that fabric for the backing block . It's darling.

    You should be incredibly proud of this finish.

    ReplyDelete
  20. This is beautiful - I love that background fabric! And congratulation on slowing down - it's something I struggle with :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. It's lovely and I like the behind story. I remember you from Zakka SAL and I'm just in that stage realizing that I don't need to be part of every QAL. Happy sewing!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love this! Those beautiful colors on the soft background (I do love that Etchings print!) and the clean lines... just gorgeous. There is truly something to be said for taking it slow and really appreciating the process of creation. Thanks so much for sharing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Really nice use of the architecture fabric. Beautiful quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I adore this. I love the background fabric, the quilting, the pattern, everything -- great job! =)

    ReplyDelete
  25. I really like your efforts at making a color wheel from print fabric. Not easy! Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Love your use of Good Folks - need to cut mine soon!!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Lovely, it looks perfect against this background.

    ReplyDelete
  28. love a pretty AMH rainbow! beautiful!

    ReplyDelete

Aren't you the sweetest for leaving a comment! Due to all the ads that bombard this section, I have to moderate everything first, but look for your comment to post in a day or two. Thanks so much for writing!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...