Saturday, July 14, 2012

Perspective


For the past few weeks I've been slowly making progress on my project for the Modernista Swap. It has been an almost therapeutic process for me to be able to take my time with something rather than try to whip it out during the few minutes of free time I can snatch here and there.


I used the Looptastic pattern by Elizabeth Hartman from her new Modern Patchwork book for the circle pieces, and I cut into two charm packs of Innocent Crush and Lou Lou Thi by Anna Maria Horner for the fabric. For the background I used some of my favorite architectural print from Etchings by 3 Sisters, and I bound it in a blue dot Modern Meadow print by Joel Dewberry. It's also backed in a pink Lou Lou Thi fabric. Since I had the time, I added some hand stitching around the inner and outer borders of the circle. Pulling from the words inside the center, I'm calling this piece Perspective.


To go along with the mini quilt, I made a thread catcher with leftover AMH prints, natural linen, and a green Mini Mikes print by Michael Miller for the lining. I echoed the original design by placing the prints in color order and adding more hand stitching around the border. 

I can't tell you what a delight these were to make. As so many of you have said when you finish a swap project, it will be so hard to let these go. Not only do I love the way they look, but they also reminded me how much I enjoy the creative process. It's easy to get so caught up in my to-do list that I forget why I started sewing in the first place. I've done a lot of thinking this week about slowing down, using what I have rather than always trying to buy more, and choosing quality over quantity in the pieces I make. If I can follow through with my resolutions in these areas, I think I'll be better for it, and I know I'll enjoy what I'm doing more.

Hope you're enjoying what you're doing this weekend.

Linking up to...

There and Back

11 comments:

  1. So pretty and the background fabric complements perfectly, nicely done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. absolutely gorgeous! and I just checked out that swap ... there are some amazing projects in that group! I might have to check it out next round!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Heidi, your work of art is gorgeous! I envy your swap partner already. I absolutely love the circle and the thread catcher.

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh I especially love the mini quilt! Love the circles and your addition of hand-stitching!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow Heidi! I really love this mini! I love the fabrics you chose and the hand-stitching and the cute little bag you made to go with it. I think your plan to slow down and spend more time on each project is great - I am currently hand-stitching the largest quilt I have made to date and I might change my mind when I get further into it but right now I am really enjoying the "slowness" of it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is gorgeous work. Great choice of colours.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is quite something of a lovely project Heidi. Your swap partner will be blown away.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's very pretty. I'm sure your swap patner will love it.
    I completely understand your thought to slow down and enjoy the process. That's why I hand sew all mine. Yes I could get more done faster by macine, but I don't enjoy sitting at a machine and I do enjoy sitting with a needle. I look forward to seeing how your resolutions impact your joy of the craft

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is such a beautiful work of art! The hand-stitching is beautiful. This is one of my favorite rainbow pieces ever! I really like your resolution of slowing down and enjoying the process. I always adore the projects I take my time on, so it would seem like I would try to take my time more often!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very nice, love all the fabrics.

    ReplyDelete

Aren't you the sweetest for leaving a comment! Due to all the ads that bombard this section, I have to moderate everything first, but look for your comment to post in a day or two. Thanks so much for writing!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...