Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Superhero Capes


At first glance, it looks as though I may be the most organized mom in the world. Could it be, you ask, that she's actually finished work on fall costumes right here in the middle of September?

No, no, no. I should only wish to be such a supermom. Instead, these are the capes which I whipped up on a wing and a prayer during any spare minute I could grab over the weekend in preparation for tonight's big family event at our local Chick-Fil-A: Superhero Night. The girls found out about it last Thursday night, and how could I resist three sets of big blue eyes and those eight magic words: "Mommy, could you make something for us...please???"

I loosely followed this tutorial from Craft Buds to make the capes. The suggested magnet fasteners from JoAnn Fabrics are a genius solution -- no velcro, no tying the edges, and they hold fast no matter how much the kids jump around. I used some felt to add an insignia with their initial to the back of each cape. The slippery polyester fabric wasn't my favorite to work with, but aside from that, this really was a pretty easy project. Keep it in mind if you need a last minute costume this year.


They're not elaborate outfits, but honestly, I think my Super Girls are super cute. Yes, you knew I had to say it...

Linking up to Sew Cute Tuesday.

10 comments:

  1. Super Cute!!! You are such a nice mom!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm going to say it it too - Super Cute! I bet they had heaps of fun running around and making their capes fly behind them :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great plan - plus your kids can use these for playing dress-ups whenever.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Adorable! What a great Mom you are! And I love the idea for magnetic fasteners. I made my kids capes earlier this year and used velcro. It works okay, but it would definitely be easier for them to fasten the magnets on their own.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Adorable! What a great Mom you are! And I love the idea for magnetic fasteners. I made my kids capes earlier this year and used velcro. It works okay, but it would definitely be easier for them to fasten the magnets on their own.

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are lovely! I made some earlier in the year too (slightly different ,I just winged it) and I agree, that polyester shiny stuff is a nightmare to sew with, but the children loved them, and I personalised them with their initials too. I also made matching masks which was fun. I hope your girls have a fab time tonight, they certainly look the part!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love them! Very cute! Nice work, Mom!

    ReplyDelete

Aren't you the sweetest for leaving a comment! Due to all the ads that bombard this section, I have to moderate everything first, but look for your comment to post in a day or two. Thanks so much for writing!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...