Friday, September 27, 2013

On the Sunny Side of the...Pouch?


Have you ever had a morning when you needed to sew? I don't mean "needed" as in trying to meet a due date for something, but more like "if I don't get a chance to play with my sewing machine today, my soul is going to wither and die?" That may be overstating things a bit, I suppose, but not by much for me this morning. There are many amazingly wonderful things going on behind the scenes here at Fabric Mutt these days which I unfortunately can't share with you yet, but sadly they don't include lots of free sewing time. Today, though, I just had to sew something for the fun of it. Since I've been needing a new pouch for my traveling hexagons, I grabbed the mini charm pack of Sunnyside by Kate Spain that's been staring at me from the shelf for over a month and got to work.


As I was laying out these little squares, Mouse scampered over to me and begged to sit in my lap. She took great delight in helping me put them in order, and since this wasn't a crucial design project, I let her help with it. I ended up deciding to split the two personalities in the collection to create a sort of "mood pouch," with sunny colors on one side and darker shades on the other. See, now it's not just a pouch, it's a public service announcement to let everyone know whether Mommy's a grump today or not...


The pouch is lined with Fairy Tales in white from The Land That Never Was by Lisa Congdon for Cloud 9 Fabrics. I absolutely love the simplicity of this print, and the playful words are a nice compliment to the exterior. On another note, I'm embarrassed to say that I've had a Clover hera marker sitting among my tools all summer long, waiting ever so patiently to be used. After finally pulling it out for the first time today, I could kick myself for neglecting it for so long. It works like a dream.

Am I happy with this little pouch? Let's just say that it's sitting next to me as I type this evening -- and the sunny side is up.

Linking up to Finish It Up Friday.

21 comments:

  1. I know what you mean about needing to sew, I feel like that this morning and have decided it just has to be done. I love the pouch, such a great idea how you've used the fabrics.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Completely understand. Having one of those mornings now but coffee must be had first. Love the little pouch & joint effort!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's lovely! I have a couple of mini charm packs that I would like to use - Cuzco and Central Park. This is a perfect project for them! Oh, and I'm glad that you are feeling sunny!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely dual function pouch Heidi. Look forward to hearing about your behind the scenes Fabricmutt news when you can share about it. Hope you find a bit more sewing free time soon :-) Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those mini charm packs are perfect for pouches - love the idea of this one with the rainy and the sunny side. Glad it is sunny for you today!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm glad you are feeling sunny : ) It's very sweet

    ReplyDelete
  7. Charming pouch and charming post!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really, really like this, especially the way you have the two different sides.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Cute charm pack and LOVE the yellow zipper!

    ReplyDelete
  10. A public service announcement pouch ... that's perfect! It's adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ditto what's been said. All women should have some kind of public announcement purse, bag, pouch or sleeve!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yes, I can relate for sure to that one. Even just 5 min. helps!! Really like this 'mood' pouch.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Adorable pouch! And *yay* for the Hera marker--I love mine (although it also took me a while before I actually used it). I have a couple now for when I "misplace" one.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I know what you mean about needing to sew. Sometimes I come home so late from work that I just go into my sewing room and pet my machine lol. hoping the next day I'll have time. You new pouch is so pretty. I

    ReplyDelete
  15. what a charming little pouch! I love the different sides!

    :) Kelly @ My Quilt Infatuation

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great little pouch! I love that it has two sides :) And both are wonderful! I totally get that urge, too. Sometimes you just need to sew something fun!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love this, especially the sunny side! :) I have a Hera marker that's waiting for its first use too.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love it Heidi! Both sides and the inside :)
    xo jan@sewandsowfarm

    ReplyDelete
  19. Great idea for the dual purpose!

    ReplyDelete

Aren't you the sweetest for leaving a comment! Due to all the ads that bombard this section, I have to moderate everything first, but look for your comment to post in a day or two. Thanks so much for writing!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...