Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Nursery Versery Apron


When I saw that Rachel was having a Nursery Versery contest, I really wanted to play along. I was an early holdout from buying the new Heather Ross fabric line, but after a few weeks of shuffling prints in and out of my online shopping cart, I finally took the plunge. Once I saw them in person, I was so glad that I did. This collection is just so sweet, and I think the grey prints are toned down enough that I can get away with using them on something for me. My girls were hoping I'd make a project for them first -- Bunny loves the little piggies, Bear loves the spider, and Mouse and the mice were made for each other, of course -- but after much thought, I decided to use the fabric to make myself a patchwork apron to wear around the house.


For my pattern, I used the basic instructions for the apron in Suzuko Koseki's Patchwork Style. This is such a pretty book -- I love poring over the pictures again and again. Unfortunately, the library's going to want their copy back soon, so I'm trying to make my favorite projects before it's due. This apron caught my eye the first time I saw it. I've always loved the ease of half-aprons, and this one has a great row of quilted pockets that will hold anything I could possibly want to carry around with me.


The main body of the apron is made out of grey linen. I used a bunch of my favorite scraps to construct the long quilted pocket, including pieces of all four Nursery Versery prints. It was a nice change to do a little improvisational scrap placement. I really should do more of these kinds of projects.


The quilted pocket is lined with Dancing Meadow in yellow from the Beauty Is You collection. It's actually divided into five different pockets of varying sizes, and the quilting makes it super comfortable to wear. I made the ties a little differently than the pattern suggested, folding the long piece of linen in on itself rather than giving it a backing. Thinner straps are easier for me to tie, and the linen made them sturdy enough to hold up the apron without any trouble.


The apron is lined in a yellow Bouquet print from Flea Market Fancy. For a touch of whimsy, I sewed in part of the Nursery Versery selvage strip for a "label." I love the way it looks against the lining fabric, and that little spider is so very cute.


This was a project that just made me happy from start to finish. I love my new apron, and I know it's going to get a lot of use. Now I have to see what else I can make out of that book before I have to pay overdue fines. My husband always jokes that our family is funding the city's library development program with our constant late fees...

Linking up to the Nursery Versery Contest at Stitched in Color. Go check out the other entries. I promise, you'll find cuteness galore!

12 comments:

  1. That is sooo cute. I should make myself one to wear while I am long arm quilting. My husband was saying that I needed a tool belt the other day. It looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is adorable Heidi! Great idea for those fabrics (I just caved and ordered some earlier this week!) And that selvedge edge is too cute!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the way you bring together all the colors Heidi! It is very cute!

    ReplyDelete
  4. what an adorable and fun apron, and so useful, too. Great way to use some HR, Heidi.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Once again Heidi you have chosen great fabrics for a great project. Well done and best of luck with the competition.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love it! I'm planning to make myself a craft apron, and this is so inspiring. Thanks for the book link!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The gray linen is so pretty, the pezzy print looks like it was. Rant to be paired with the mice, and the quilting lines look great!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This turned out really cute! Love that you used the selvedge as a label!

    ReplyDelete
  9. i love this! and i love the fabrics you chose to go along with nursery versery. very clever and practical!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is so cute! the colors work so well together

    ReplyDelete
  11. Such a fun apron; I love all te colors!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Good for you to make something for yourself before returning the book! I just made the same apron to use as my money-holder at my craft show. Fun to see your version!

    ReplyDelete

Aren't you the sweetest for leaving a comment! Due to all the ads that bombard this section, I have to moderate everything first, but look for your comment to post in a day or two. Thanks so much for writing!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...