Friday, August 1, 2014

Fabric Audition: Palm Springs

Palm Springs Fabric Audition Zipper Pouch by Heidi Staples of Fabric Mutt

It's been a while since I've posted a fabric audition on the blog, but I'm hoping to share at least one or two of these each month from now on. Along with a curated stack of fabric, I'll be sharing a Pinterest board of photos to go along with the theme as well as a project made from the auditioned prints. I always enjoy auditioning fabrics, and adding these last two steps to the process has been so much fun!

Audition Stats (top to bottom): Barcelona City Map in Saffron by Zen Chic for Moda, Essential Dots Black on White by Moda, Modern Home Little Leaves by Monaluna, Nicey Jane Picnic Bouquet in Tangerine by Heather Bailey for Free Spirit, Sun Print Feathers in Onyx by Allison Glass for Andover, Botanics Foliage in Tangerine by Carolyn Friedlander for Robert Kaufman

Today's stack is inspired by the sunny shades of Palm Springs, that famously lovely desert spot located just over an hour away from where I live. I've had some wonderful vacations there with family and friends over the years. The heat is intense, but beautiful views and great food make up for it. You'll find some fabulous examples of retro design there too, several of which you can see on my Palm Springs Fabric Audition Pinterest board.


I decided to make a simple striped pouch from this audition. These prints look great with yarn dyed Essex linen in leather, and I love the orange Aurifil thread that I used to quilt the front and back. The pouch is lined in the floral Heather Bailey print which is such a happy thing to see each time I open that zipper.


I have more fabric auditions in the works as we speak, but feel free to let me know in the comments below if you have any themes or color palettes that you'd like to see me tackle this year. If I put something together with your idea, I'll be sure to give you and your blog a mention in my post!

7 comments:

  1. This is such a great little pouch. These colors are wonderful. What about Alaska?

    ReplyDelete
  2. love the idea of going with a theme. How about teenage boys as a theme, just for a challenge :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a lovely bag and a fun blog theme. I see that Deborah has suggested teenage boys. How about soccer practice, or playing with the garage band, or the cars I dream of for those boys?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ow about metroman as a theme? Or maybe " depression glass " by co panies like Fire King? Love that stuff! The jadeite, the soft blues and the gentle pinks...
    Esther

    ReplyDelete
  5. love your pouch theme. I always have trouble making things for "tweens". you know those kids that are not small but are not older either. the novelty prints can be too sappy and the color themes can be boring for them. makes it difficult to make handmade gifts for them. thanks for sharing your idea!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I adore pouches. I think I've probably said that to you a dozen times! The fabrics you chose for the front are wonderful. I did let out a little gasp when I saw the back of your pouch. I LOVE the five lines of stitching on the back!! After seeing such a beautiful front I didn't expect such an impact from the back.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mmm, the addition of black and white prints really makes this palette. Just wonderful. I also love that Heather Bailey print-- looks so different depending on where you cut it !

    ReplyDelete

Aren't you the sweetest for leaving a comment! Due to all the ads that bombard this section, I have to moderate everything first, but look for your comment to post in a day or two. Thanks so much for writing!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...