Thursday, July 11, 2013

Playtime


It has been a lovely, lovely week of vacation here with my in-laws in Southern Arizona. Normally I'm not a desert vacation kind of girl. Broiling temperatures? Sharp plants? No, thank you. But there's something about the little retirement community of Green Valley that gets to me. The summer months are far more quiet than usual since half the population heads off for cooler climates, and there's a peacefulness here that speaks to my soul. The light is incredible in the evenings at dusk, softening the edges of the landscape and making everything beautiful. Since it's monsoon season in this part of the world, we've also been having nightly thunderstorms. I love to stand at the patio window and watch the lightning flash over the mountains.


My parents-in-law live in a complex that is surrounded by small stretches of desert wilderness which are full of little creatures: rabbits, quail, ground squirrels, and the occasional lizard. I do my best to catch them in motion, but they're quick. I'm afraid all these vacation photos are taken with my phone -- I just didn't feel like packing the fancy camera this year -- but at least you get a feel for the area this way. You can follow me on Instagram to see more.


Every night before bed, my daughters love to go exploring with us -- "bunny hunting" they call it -- hoping to catch a glimpse of those soft brown-grey rabbits playing games among the cacti.


With all the playtime, I've not done a stitch of sewing yet, though I brought some projects along with me just in case. Maybe tomorrow. For today, I'll share a few projects that I brought along as gifts for family members.


These patchwork wristlets were made using Ayumi's tutorial. To speed things up, I left out the inside pocket and used precut mini charm squares from the Posy and Baby Jane lines.


I love these pouches -- such a fun, personal gift and so useful.


I also made a throw quilt for my brother-in-law and his wife out of charm squares from Glimma and Bella by Lotta Jansdotter. It's a very simple design in layout and quilting, but that seems to suit these prints somehow.


I backed the quilt in that wonderful IKEA print I bought last month. I really need to get some more of that soon.

As I sit here typing, my little bunny hunters have finally fallen asleep after another big day, tired from the night's activities and excited about tomorrow's trip to the Tuscon Zoo. I'm tired too...and so very happy.

Linking up to Finish It Up Friday.

17 comments:

  1. It looks as though you are having a fun trip! The wristlets and quilt turned out awesome and I am sure that your family will love them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds lovely - glad you are having such a nice time away!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The simple layout and quilting really do work with that fabric! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those little pouches are so sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like a great vacation and love the little pouches. I am off to check out that tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
  6. what a lovely holiday you are having. :) And I do like your little lap quilt. Perfect for a cool evening in an Adirondack chair, eh? :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey, you're in my neck of the woods! :) Glad you're enjoying the monsoons! They can wreak a bit of havoc, but they are really beautiful. And the desert smells so lovely and clean after a good storm!

    Hope your zoo trip didn't get rained out! I love those little wristlets :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks like a fun trip. I love the fabrics in the throw, I have some Bella and have yet to decide what to do with it! Hmmmm....

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks like a fun family trip! Making lots of wonderful memories for your little ones! Enjoy your time!

    ReplyDelete
  10. My grandparents used to live in Tucson. I absolutely love the desert: hot temps, sharp plants and all. I love the little zippered pouches. One day, I'll work up the courage to try zippers.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sounds like a great vacation, Heidi.
    What a great way to use mini charms! Very cute pouches!
    Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Looking and sounding like a good time was had by all. Love the wristlets and the quilt. Happy bunny hunting.....

    ReplyDelete
  13. Looks like you are all having a wonderful visit! The pouches are adorable and that quilt is beautiful. I'm sure the recipients loved everything.

    ReplyDelete
  14. The trip looks fun, and the quilt and wristlets are nice.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love the prints in the throw, yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  16. That color palette is delicious! I love bright colors with gray. And the text print is wonderfully striking.

    Would you be interested in showing off any of your quilting work on Kollabora, the online crafters' community? We're always eager to hear the points of view of people who are good designers as well as good craftspeople.

    ReplyDelete

Aren't you the sweetest for leaving a comment! Due to all the ads that bombard this section, I have to moderate everything first, but look for your comment to post in a day or two. Thanks so much for writing!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...