Sunday, April 28, 2013

Patchwork Bag


Birthday week marches on in our family: my niece, my sister-in-law, and now Tuesday is my sister's big day. This little bag had quite the roundabout path to the finish line. First it was going to be the makeup pouch from Patchwork Play, but I cut my charm squares wrong by accident so that was out. Then I decided to make a simple zipper pouch...which then became a quilted pouch...which then became a wristlet...which ended up as a purse with handles and a gusset. It took me all afternoon, but I had such a good time playing around with this design. Next time I need to add a layer of heavy interfacing in there to make it a little stiffer, but otherwise I love the way it turned out.


The yarn dyed black Essex linen paired perfectly with squares from a charm pack of Happy-Go-Lucky by Bonnie and Camille. I think this is my favorite line of theirs yet. The navy prints are wonderful, and I love the vintage feel of the entire collection. I will definitely be buying yardage when it comes out. The inside of the bag is an old print by Denyse Schmidt, and I bound the inner raw edges with Kona Grass. I stuffed it full of cute office supplies from Target and added a Fabricworm gift certificate for good measure.


Last week I picked up a few charms at the local Hobby Lobby  to use on my zippers in some upcoming projects, and this was my first chance to use one. I adore these little red glasses and have another pair leftover for next time.

I love it when sewing is fun!

Linking up to the Let's Get Acquainted Monday Link-up.

22 comments:

  1. What a great idea to use with the charms! I am totally going to pick something up now. I have to. You convinced me. :)

    Love the bag! Anyone would be lucky to have it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so cute! Are you going to write a tutorial?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was just thinking what Beth wrote! This is so cute and will there be a tutorial?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Darling! You are so talented!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very cute!! I just used a mini charm pack of happy-go-lucky for a postage stamp pillow, I loved it too :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gorgeous bag! The happy go lucky looks beautiful with the Essex linen!

    ReplyDelete
  7. oh! The glasses on the zipper are just too cute :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful bag - I really love those fabrics with the linen too! Thanks so much for linking up this week.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a cute bag, your lucky sister will love it! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Can I be your sister? ;) She'll love it, I'm sure. The glasses are too cute. Awesome detail.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love this one too, and I echo the others - can we have a tutorial ...please!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Charms are such a fun little touch! I keep meaning to buy some to add to my projects, but I always forget :/

    ReplyDelete
  13. Those charms are so cute, but I've never seen them! What section are they in?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Another beautiful bag ; ) cute accessories too

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a darling bag! And the glasses really top it off in a cute way! Don't you love the way that black yarn-dyed Essex makes the patchwork prints pop??!?

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is so cute. I love the Essex linen it is a perfect combo. I love the charm you added for the zipper. Now I want to go to Hobby Lobby and buy a few.

    ReplyDelete
  17. That's an adorable bag and I love the zipper too! Great job. Visiting from "Let's Get Acquainted."

    ReplyDelete
  18. i love the essex and the DS quilts you put on the inside. kona grass is a favorite, too. i'm sure this gift will be well-received.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love this bag Heidi. And the red glasses are too cute!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Great bag and loving the glasses! Can't wait to get my hands on the happy-go-lucky, but don't think it's available in the UK yet.....very sad!

    ReplyDelete

Aren't you the sweetest for leaving a comment! Due to all the ads that bombard this section, I have to moderate everything first, but look for your comment to post in a day or two. Thanks so much for writing!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...