Thursday, April 11, 2013

Fabric Auditions: Breakfast in Bed


I am so in love with the colors and prints in this little bundle. Wouldn't this make a wonderful table runner for spring?


I haven't made anything from any of my fabric audition bundles yet, but I'm awfully tempted by this one...

I can't tell you how impressed I've been with the tutorials that our Girl Friday Sews blog hoppers have been sharing with all of you. Yesterday, Taryn showed a tablet pillow stand that is both useful and cute at the same time. I love her patchwork design! Lori is posting today, showing you how to make a beautiful file folder organizer that will brighten up your wall and get the clutter off your desk -- complete with labels! She also has a fat quarter bundle of Robotic to give away from the wonderful people at Fabricworm, and after I got a look at those adorable prints, I had to buy a few myself last week. The graph paper covered in doodles is my favorite. I can't wait to make a zipper pouch out of it...


Since we've been talking about organization in the Girl Friday Sews Blog Hop, I thought I'd throw in one more tip today. I've struggled with keeping my house clean...well, pretty much forever -- it just got harder when the kids came on the scene. With seven people living in our house (my parents, my husband and I, and our three girls all under the age of seven), managing the clutter can seem almost impossible at times. Recently I ran across a website called Fly Lady, and it has changed my life. Every time I say that, my husband teases me that I've joined a cult, but I can't tell you what a difference this is making in my home. The website is free, and the message in a nutshell is this: anyone can clean for fifteen minutes a day. She has a whole stack of ideas for building habits and routines (for grown-ups and kids) that make life unbelievably easier, and she encourages you to take things slowly without burning yourself out by trying to get everything perfect at once. Need more proof? Just take a look at that kitchen counter in the photo above. It's clean. It's white. It's not covered in stacks of worksheets, magazines, and kid's meal prizes. If you knew the full extent of that miracle alone, you would leave this blog immediately and go here. No one at Fly Lady is paying me to say this, by the way, though if anyone reading this wants to send me some free fabric, I certainly won't refuse...

10 comments:

  1. Wow! I would just love for my counters to look like that! I will have to check that website out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The fabric bundle is gorgeous. I love that FFA2 print. I have some that I have been hoarding.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love those chickens! Can you please direct me to the collection and designer? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeous fabrics. Enjoy playing with them ; )

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have to tell you that I happened upon Fly Lady, 12 years ago when my twins were babies, I was so inspired by her that I actually got myself out of bed an hour early to clean. It was wonderful. The one tip that I have held onto for all these years is to shine your sink each night. What a difference an empty sink makes!! And yes the 15 min clean up is a lifesaver!! I also love the focus on the hotspots, its like she can see into my house. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  6. I lived by flylady for quite a while and overall it still helps - including that sink!! I have really enjoyed Girl Friday and have added a couple of those projects to my list - thanks Heidi!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have been a flylady for many years. Love her tips, shiny sink and try the purple rags they are great. I have been enjoying all the projects and seeing some great ideas. Thanks for the fun!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'll definitely check out FlyLady. I need all the tips I can get for organization. thanks!

    SewCalGal
    www.sewcalgal.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Flylady ROCKS!!! Those hot spots will burn down your house ;) I've seen her speak and she is even more wonderful in person. (I need to get back to her methods ;)

    ReplyDelete

Aren't you the sweetest for leaving a comment! Due to all the ads that bombard this section, I have to moderate everything first, but look for your comment to post in a day or two. Thanks so much for writing!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...