Wednesday, August 16, 2017

Big Bear Cabin Pillow

Scrappy Big Bear Cabin Pillow by Heidi Staples of Fabric Mutt

My friend Susi & I have been known to swap once in a while -- fabric, little sewing projects, gummy bears...all the good stuff. This time we took requests. She made me an incredibly adorable mini featuring a felt bunny, bear & mouse (in honor of my daughters' nicknames), and I made her a scrappy pillow version of my Big Bear Cabin Quilt. I played with dimensions a bit to give this a different spin, and I really like the way it turned out. It's definitely going to be hard to let go of this one...

Scrappy Big Bear Cabin Pillow by Heidi Staples of Fabric Mutt

I always enjoy pairing random rainbow fabrics and low volume prints. It was also nice to work in a bit of brown, which can often be a neglected color in my stash. These warm brown tones for the bear paw corners feel like autumn, and I love the contrast with the other colors. 

Scrappy Big Bear Cabin Pillow by Heidi Staples of Fabric Mutt

I chose a flowered teapot for the center of the pillow. It came from a darling vintage greeting card print that I bought from Sunny Day Supply -- so much cuteness!

Scrappy Big Bear Cabin Pillow by Heidi Staples of Fabric Mutt

I quilted 1/8" from either side of the low volume strips in the blocks and in the center. The back of the pillow is a canvas print from Cotton + Steel that falls somewhere between gray and brown.

Scrappy Big Bear Cabin Pillow by Heidi Staples of Fabric Mutt

It's hard to let go of a project that you love, but it's a whole lot easier when you know it's going to live with a dear friend.

7 comments:

  1. I just wanted to say that I absolutely love your Big Bear Cabin Pillow pattern. Your combination of colors and fabrics really set the pattern off in a totally new direction than the traditional version, and it makes my head spin in a great way. Never in my wildest dreams would I have thought of using your combinations together, but you have certainly inspired me to try to think outside the box more often. Thanks so much for sharing this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i would find that hard to give away too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am in LOVE with this pillow!!! What a gorgeous color combo!! You picked the absolute perfect prints..and the brown "Paws" are SO unexpected...but BRILLIANT!! Beautiful work...Susi will LOVE LOVE LOVE this!!!!

    "

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this! It seems I always want to make the pillows or placemats you make :)
    Have you done a pattern yet for your Big Bear Cabin Quilt yet? I clicked on the link and noticed you mentioned that you might.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is the coolest block around. LOVE :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh yes, I understand your love for this cushion! I really like the backing fabric, as well as the beautiful prints used on the front.

    ReplyDelete
  7. over and over again I am impressed! I love your works! regards. Magda

    ReplyDelete

Aren't you the sweetest!! Thanks for making my day by leaving a comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...