Saturday, May 28, 2016

Trinket Case

Cotton + Steel Trinket Case by Heidi Staples of Fabric Mutt

Those of you who follow me on Instagram know that our family has had a rough few months. My dad fell off a ladder at the beginning of March, shattering his wrist and injuring his knee. He finished three difficult months of recovery from wrist surgery and physical therapy last week, but had to begin the process all over again yesterday after undergoing a necessary knee surgery. On top of that, my oldest daughter Bunny had a terrible breathing attack two weeks ago, followed by trips to the emergency room and several days in the hospital. She's since been diagnosed with asthma and has been taking medicine around the clock. We capped off the week by having all three of my girls come down with a nasty cold. Put this together with sleepless nights, hours of grading to wrap up the school year, and the general stress of the past few months, and well, we're just a bit worn out over here. So when my dear friend Becca agreed to pick up a few goodies for me at Sample Spree last weekend, it was like a little ray of sunshine in the gloom.


Look at these gorgeous bundles of Trinket by Melody Miller and Les Fleurs by Anna Bond. The colors, the designs...they just make my heart sing. The ladies at Cotton + Steel continue to impress me with their skill in creating color stories and collection themes.

Cotton + Steel Trinket Case by Heidi Staples of Fabric Mutt

It seemed like sewing up a small colorful project would be the best kind of therapy right now, so I immediately broke open the Trinket bundle, which might just be my favorite yet of Melody's beautiful collections. These prints just seem to hum with happiness. I especially love the spools, but I'm just as fond of the whistles, phones, and those sweet smiling daisies. It was so much fun fussy cutting these squares to create the front of a boxy patchwork case.

Cotton + Steel Trinket Case by Heidi Staples of Fabric Mutt

I used one of the linen floral prints for the sides and back panel. The selvage was just too lovely to leave out, and I carefully trimmed it to fit along the zipper opening.

Cotton + Steel Trinket Case by Heidi Staples of Fabric Mutt

I added leather for the side tabs and zipper pull, making a wonderful contrast to the bright prints.

Cotton + Steel Trinket Case by Heidi Staples of Fabric Mutt

Between you and me, when I stepped back to look at the finished case, I was so happy that I almost wanted to cry. Because even though little joys may not solve our problems, they're sometimes just enough to help us find the strength to carry on.

32 comments:

  1. Oh Heidi... :( I'm so sorry things have been rough for you lately, I understand 100%. I think we've all been there at one time or another... ((Hugs)) I hope your little one and your father are both feeling better and on the mend soon! This case is just beautiful! Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous, can't wait to see it in person and buy some. What a ray of sunshine to break your dark clouds. But hopefully everyone is on the mend and the creativity spark will bring rainbows and sunshine back into your lives.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry for all your stress. Hopefully summer will bring better health and a nice rest. Is there s pattern for this?

    ReplyDelete
  4. The pouch certainly is cheerful and fun!
    I'm so very sorry to hear that you and your family have been going thru such a difficult time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love it! What a great idea to cheer yourself up and destress for a bit.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree- one cannot at all diminish the importance of small joys, often enough to get us through a tough day! As a teacher, I understand even more! In Australia, we are wrapping up our first semester with assessments and grading to be completed. Your new trinket case is delightful! Stay positive- good times are just around the corner....

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sorry to hear ou have had a rough time and so many worries with your family. It is just the worst when you are worried about people you love. Hope it's all on the up and up now. And your trinket case is lovely. X

    ReplyDelete
  8. Everyone needs a bit of Melody in their lives - I certainly can't wait to get my hands on this delightful collection. The bag is gorgeous - is it one of your designs? Hope things are on the up for you - thanks for sharing the good, bad and beautiful x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Heidi, I'm so sorry for all the things that have befallen your family lately. I hope that you will all get well and strong PRONTO!! Thanks for sharing this beautifully cheery bag.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's so nice that you have your sewing as a distraction, you can get lost in your projects and end up with something lovely. I have turned to my sewing as an oasis away from stress and dealing with things I cannot control. Well wishes to your dad and girls.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It is so cute! I love that 'boxy' trinket pouch, lol.
    I imagine the tears were tears of joy. All of it is behind you now and things will get back to the new normal. Blessings to you and yours. Praying for good results on your dads surgery too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh my Heidi, you summed up my feelings on sewing perfectly in that last sentence. So true! I hope the next few months will be more peaceful for your family.
    I LOVE this pouch! Is there a patern for it? Always love seeing your work and hearing from you. So much inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I LOVE this trinket case! It would cheer me up too! I hope the summer is a less stressful time for you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  14. You are a blessed person, and I am happy for knowing that all the health issues are under control and for knowing that you have friends that give you little joys and a lot of happiness!!!��������

    ReplyDelete
  15. I wish your family and especially your asthma dx daughter and your post op dad a speedy recovery and smooth happy days from here on out.
    This pouch is really sweet

    ReplyDelete
  16. That last sentence is perfectly said! I'm sorry about things being so crazy for you lately - I hope the second half of the year is full of joy and laughter for you and our family. That Trinket line is amazing, and your pouch is wonderful! I'm definitely going to have to pick up a bundle of those prints now!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow, that's a lot of stress to handle in such a short period of time!! But nothing like a little fabric therapy to boost the spirits! Love your project.

    ReplyDelete
  18. sewing is my therapy too... very cute case!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Adorable pouch, congrats on a great finish. I agree that the selvage was too pretty to waste.

    May each step that you and your family take lead the way to peace and healing. Namaste, Heidi.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I'm praying your family all make a speedy recovery! Now that it's out of the way the summer should be a healthy one for all of you...this too shall pass!! Thank God we have our sewing & creativity to keep us somewhat sane during times like these! Blessings to you all Heidi! Great pouch by the way lol...is there a pattern or tutorial for it? XXX Regina

    ReplyDelete
  21. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  22. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love how sewing pretty things can cheer you up! Is there a pattern for this sweet case?

    ReplyDelete
  24. Wow what a lot of bad things, I'm hoping now it will be nicer! Your bag is so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  25. May your family and Dad be blessed with health and happiness. Love your trinket case. The fabrics are the sweetest

    ReplyDelete
  26. Sewing can be such wonderful therapy! Adorable finish!!

    ReplyDelete
  27. wauw- wonderful project-you are a big inspiration! and your Words made me cry a bit :-) Warm summergreetings from Denmark- and best wishes for you all!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Life can serve us some serious blows now and then.
    I hope your dad is recovering. It is harder when you are old. He needs lots of praise and encouragement. My mom and dad are 93, so I am old too haha
    I hope your daughter can recover from the asthma. Sometimes it does recede over time.
    This bag is so cute, and the fabrics are lovely

    ReplyDelete
  29. This is an ABSOLUTELY AMAZING idea!! I love it! What a cool way to share ideas and perspectives of fashion!
    laura ashley fabric

    ReplyDelete

Aren't you the sweetest for leaving a comment! Due to all the ads that bombard this section, I have to moderate everything first, but look for your comment to post in a day or two. Thanks so much for writing!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...