Sunday, December 29, 2013

Travel Case (Times Two)


Many of you know that we make an annual summer trip to Arizona to spend time with my husband's family. This year we're going to try making an extra visit over Christmas break, and as I started working on travel details over the weekend, the image of a travel case popped into my mind and insisted that I give it some attention. It's been a while since I've dropped everything to work on a new sewing idea, but I'm so glad I did. These little bags are my new best friends.


My first attempt was the smaller of the two cases you see above. It was surprisingly quick and fairly easy to sew. The only drawback is a smaller opening since the zipper just runs along the top of the bag. Once this first one was done, I began right away on a larger version with an extended zipper down the sides. It's a tricky process, but I was able to make it work, and I absolutely love the results.


The bags are lined with text prints, which are always a favorite of mine. Both have linen exteriors featuring prints by Heather Ross and Melody Miller and two different shades of yarn dyed Essex linen. I used a heavy wool/acrylic blend Aurifil thread for the stitching on both bags. It's not only strong, but I like the way the larger stitches look against the linen. It all comes together to create a vintage style look that I absolutely love.


I give away a lot of my sewing projects -- how many bags does a girl need after all? -- but considering that tomorrow's my birthday and that I'm pretty crazy about these little travel cases, I think we're going to officially call these a birthday present...

36 comments:

  1. Wow these rock!! Have you a pattern for us to buy? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my, Heidi! These are fabulous. My birthday is in July. Maybe you'll be tired of them by then! Lol!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are so cute. Happy Birthday.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy happy Birthday :-) Glad you could make yourself a great present, but hope you get some nice surprises too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are SO fun!! What a pair, and how clever are YOU!? Very cool. And Happy Birthday!! Happy travels!

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are so wonderful! You deserve them! And Happy Birthday to you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy Birthday! How do you just MAKE a bag? Such talent.

    ReplyDelete
  8. They are so cute! They look fantastic AND functional. A definite win! Happy Birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  9. These are gorgeous! And a big happy birthday to you Heidi!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy b-day! Did you create the patterns? Those are super cute!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy Birthday! Hope it's fabulous! These two bags looks fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love them both, but the bigger one, with the long zipper is fantastic! I hope you'll make a pattern available!

    ReplyDelete
  13. These are SO cute! I love the handles and the bag shape. Happy birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Happy birthday! The bags are a great shape, and thanks for the tip on the thread.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Happy birthday to you! They look great! Will you have a pattern available for these? This girl only has a few bags that are handmade. And none nearly that size... :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great bags! I'd love one of these bags. I use most all my totes/pouches weekly. Never to may as far as I'm concerned!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Those are adorable! I am just going to call you the "Queen of Bag Idea's"!

    ReplyDelete
  18. These are so cute!

    Happy birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  19. A girl can never have too many. Happy Birthday!! The bags are so cute.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Your bags are gorgeous! You deserve them! Love all of the special touches you give them!
    Happy Birthday!

    Susie

    ReplyDelete
  21. Those bags are gorgeous!! So happy to have just found your blog :)
    Happy Birthday too!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Those bags are gorgeous!! So happy to have just found your blog :)
    Happy Birthday too!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Best selfie birthday presents ever! :) I'm so buying this pattern if you will share. Gotta know what type of interfacing you used and how you boxed the corners near the zipper. Love the handles! And the gray. Just awesome. Best wishes!

    ReplyDelete
  24. And have a really happy birthday! and a great trip, with those bags!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Fabulous, and well done on a set of great bags, you're a very clever lady! Hope you have a fabulous birthday. x

    ReplyDelete
  26. Gorgeous - love the bigger one. Hope you have a fab birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  27. both cute but I really love the colors and zipper design of the larger one best - happy bday!!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Happy birthday and I love the bags - they are gorgeous and I hope you enjoy using them as much as I have enjoyed reading about them!

    ReplyDelete
  29. These cases are amazing! You're so talented! I love the fabric choices.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Happy to find your blog! I love those travel bags! What is the pattern?

    ReplyDelete
  31. these are absolutely amazing. Such adorable bags, totally perfect. Happy birthday, too. Hope you have a very, very lovely day.

    ReplyDelete
  32. I love, love, love these! Are you developing a pattern for them? I would love to make up one for myself. I would also offer myself up at a pattern tester if you need one! I've made a ton of bags. My biggest accomplishment to date is 5 AB Weekender bags.

    ReplyDelete
  33. I just found you on Pinterest...and I am also interested in a pattern if you have one! They look great!

    ReplyDelete
  34. AWESOME Pattern! I'm going on a trip on a girls Las Vegas in July, I will definitely impress my friends with this little cutie!

    ReplyDelete

Aren't you the sweetest for leaving a comment! Due to all the ads that bombard this section, I have to moderate everything first, but look for your comment to post in a day or two. Thanks so much for writing!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...