Monday, December 14, 2015

Mini Double-Zip Clutch: the EPP Kit

Mini Double Zip Clutch from Sew Organized for the Busy Girl by Heidi Staples

Back when I first developed the Double-Zip Clutch for my book, Sew Organized for the Busy Girl, I remember thinking, "Someday I need to try making a miniature one of these." Well, today was the day...and wow, do I love it.

Mini Double Zip Clutch from Sew Organized for the Busy Girl by Heidi Staples

For those of you who might want to try one of these, I simply cut all the measurements in half. This smaller version finishes at 4 1/4 x 5 1/2" closed, 5 1/2 x 8 1/2" open. I also switched out fusible interfacing for cotton batting which I attached with adhesive basting spray. I found that I didn't need to even use the batting to reinforce the lining on the end zipper pockets; the smaller version holds up quite nicely without it.

This clutch couldn't be a more perfect size to use as an English paper piecing kit for basting hexagons. All the fabrics you see here are from Amy Sinbaldi's charming new collection Paperie for Art Gallery Fabrics, which features plenty of delicate small scale prints as well as a vintage book theme -- two of my very favorite things. These sweet prints will definitely be showing up in future projects.

Mini Double Zip Clutch from Sew Organized for the Busy Girl by Heidi Staples

This was my first time trying metal snaps as a closure, and I'm definitely a fan. I also added leather zipper pulls and trimmed it with a bit of twill tape covered in French handwriting as a final touch. There are pockets here for everything: paper pieces, basted shapes, needles, thread, scissors, and fabric. It all zips and folds up into an easily hand held package. Best of all, it only took me a few hours this afternoon to sew this up between helping the girls with their classes.

And we all lived happily ever after...

6 comments:

  1. Heidi, it is tiny! And so cute! I like the fabrics you selected and the leather pulls are a nice touch. Bravo!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh that's adorable! Pretty fabrics and love the green zips, matches so nicely with the spool of aurifil!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, this is fabulous. I've made the original size, but now I'm not going to be able to resist making this one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This tiny one is gorgeous!
    I’m currently trying to make the larger one from your book and have got to the point of adding the zips and i’m really stuck and just can’t work out how they go. Please do you have any photos or tutorials for this anywhere? Thank you!x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Helen, send me an email, and I'll try to send you some help!

    ReplyDelete

Aren't you the sweetest for leaving a comment! Due to all the ads that bombard this section, I have to moderate everything first, but look for your comment to post in a day or two. Thanks so much for writing!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...