Monday, December 17, 2018

Merry Maker Tree

Merry Maker Christmas Tree by Heidi Staples for Fabric Mutt

It all started when I saw a package of Shiny Brite vintage reproduction ornaments on sale at Macy's. I've been desperately wanting to get my hands on some of the originals, but they're way out of my wallet's league. So I decided to get these instead as a treat, thinking that they would look cute on a miniature tree in my sewing room. But by the time I got them home, I found out that the ornaments were too large for the small silver tinsel tree I had bought for them. The girls helped me hang the Shiny Brites on our big family tree instead, and I was left wondering what to do with my lonely little sewing room tree.

Why not, I suddenly thought, have a Merry Maker Tree to match my creative space? It was such a fun challenge to come up with tiny decorations that fit the sewing theme.

Merry Maker Christmas Tree by Heidi Staples for Fabric Mutt

Small white ric rac trim and a string of Lori Holt's colorful buttons strung on white Aurifil floss made perfect garlands.

Pixie Cup for Merry Maker Tree by Heidi Staples for Fabric Mutt

I used a mix of Christmas and everyday prints in shades of pink, red, and green to sew a wide, handles-free Pixie Cup for the base of the tree which I filled with snowy white batting to cover up the trunk.

Merry Maker Christmas Tree by Heidi Staples for Fabric Mutt

And a wooden spool of red and white baker's twine held in place with a single pin made the perfect tree topper.

Merry Maker Christmas Tree by Heidi Staples for Fabric Mutt

Putting this tree together was such a lovely way to spend a Sunday afternoon, and it makes me smile every time I see it on the cabinet next to my great grandfather's old typewriter. I may add more decorations in the next week, or maybe not. We'll see. Taking time to do something just for the fun of it was good for my soul. It seems like the perfect way to celebrate Christmas.

9 comments:

  1. Too cute! Thanks for sharing a great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very sweet. Being happy with simple things is a big part of Christmas. x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Perfect decor for your sewing room. You did this beautifully!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my goodness. I love the tree. I want to run out and find one so I can have my very own. Thanks for sharing this sweet idea.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh! That button garland is too much and very darling!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your tree is adorable!! I love your grandfathers typewriter. Hugs & Merry Christmas,

    ReplyDelete
  7. this is VERY cute. I found a white Christmas tree, just a foot tall at Target.
    It was there all alone and I am so glad I brought it home with me. Right now it is on top of the curio.... because I have nibbling kitties. But it is all fluffed out and pretty and in plain view. I am going to decorate it one day. Your idea is very sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So cute! I've made all of your Pixie projects! I adore them so much! Love this wide handles free version, your lil tree looks so cute in it! Would you mind if I ask the measurements? Pretty please with a thimble on top;) Happy holidays

    ReplyDelete

Aren't you the sweetest for leaving a comment! Due to all the ads that bombard this section, I have to moderate everything first, but look for your comment to post in a day or two. Thanks so much for writing!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...