Sunday, September 16, 2018

Bits & Pieces


It's been a rainy few weeks here in the Texas hill country, something I almost couldn't have imagined a month ago when our garden was so dry that we were afraid our plants were going to start dying. Now the grass is bright green, the trees are dripping raindrops, and the deer are enjoying a freshly watered salad bar every morning. I'm upstairs in the loft tonight trying to get in a little extra work on yet another secret project that's due in less than two weeks. It takes more hours than you would think to develop a pattern on paper, to polish and color it in Illustrator, and then to write out the cutting and piecing instructions. You wonder sometimes if it's really going to look as good as you thought it would. That depressing little voice in your head starts whispering that maybe your math is wrong or your fabric combinations are off or it's just going to be a general flop. And then suddenly you're sewing it up at your machine, and oh my word -- it works! It works just the way you hoped it would, and you love it, and you can't stop grinning at those little quilt blocks on the table in front of you. It's a pretty great feeling, let me tell you...

I was so thrilled to have my Date Night collection featured in a pattern called Kite Season by the amazing Jenny Doan of Missouri Star Quilt Co. You can see the video tutorial here and purchase the paper pattern here or PDF download version here. It would make the most adorable picnic quilt ever! Several of my quilting friends have also shared Date Night projects. Be sure to visit Elea, Minki, LaurenSandy, and Christopher who made such darling things with my fabric. And be sure to tag any of your own makes with #datenightfabric when you share them!

I have some big projects still in progress, but for now I spend most of my time homeschooling my daughters, catching up on smaller projects, practicing my drawing, and sneaking in a bit of reading and crochet when I have the time. The fall decorations are up in the house again, and I'm feeling the itch to bake cookies and pumpkin bread and all the pies in my favorite cookbooks. For now I'm trying to be good, but we'll see how long that lasts as the weather gets cooler...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Aren't you the sweetest for leaving a comment! Due to all the ads that bombard this section, I have to moderate everything first, but look for your comment to post in a day or two. Thanks so much for writing!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...