Wednesday, March 14, 2018

Pillows & Pouches

Heather Ross Book Nook Pillows from Sew Organized for the Busy Girl by Heidi Staples for Fabric Mutt

One of my favorite presents to make for both new parents and little children is a small version of the giant Book Nook pillow from my book. I shrink the pattern down to fit a 12" or 14" pillow form and tuck a card in the pocket for a sweet gift.

Heather Ross Book Nook Pillows from Sew Organized for the Busy Girl by Heidi Staples for Fabric Mutt

As a new mom, I always liked having lots of pillows nearby to help me get into a comfortable position when I was feeding the baby, and that pocket is a great place to stash a book or snack pack or anything else I might want when I'm up by myself in the middle of the night. For a child's gift, you can still tuck little books or toys in the pocket, and it's perfect for travel. My girls and I will be making a mini Book Nook for each of them to take on our family road trip this summer.

Heather Ross Book Nook Pillows from Sew Organized for the Busy Girl by Heidi Staples for Fabric Mutt

I decided to pull out my Heather Ross stash for these pillows, carefully choosing my prints since one is for a girl and the other for a boy. It was so much fun to pick out the fabrics for these! I paired them both with different shades of linen on the pocket background fabric for a nice contrast.

I've started sewing up my own gift bags lately, riffing on the 5-Minute Party Pouch from Ruby Star Wrapping by Melody Miller & Allison Tannery. I just change up the size as needed. It's a great way to use fabric from my Five & Dime stash, and it makes the gift so much more personal. And frankly, considering how expensive gift bags are becoming, I think I'm at least breaking even on the cost!

Retro Mama Notions Pouch by Heidi Staples for Fabric Mutt

I also had the chance to host a week of my friend Kim's sew along for her new Notions Pouch pattern. Kim is also known as Retro Mama, and she makes the most adorable things!

Retro Mama Notions Pouch by Heidi Staples for Fabric Mutt

This is just the cutest little pouch you ever saw, and I had so much fun making one in each of the two sizes she offers. The sew along is just wrapping up on Instagram -- just check out the hashtag #notionspouchsal to see all the amazing makes.

Speaking of Instagram, I'm trying to keep up with the annual Instagram Quilt Fest hosted by Amy of Amy's Creative Side this month. There's a photo prompt for each day of March to share with the hashtag #igquiltfest, and it's given me the chance to go back and revisit some favorite makes as well as share a behind-the-scenes look at my own sewing studio. Check it out if you get the chance. These are the kind of events that really bring out the friendly spirit that I love most about the online quilting community.

Happy sewing, friends!

5 comments:

  1. What fabric pack has the little doxie that says yap yap yap, it's on the pillow. I can't find it

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's actually from a pair of Munki Munki pajamas designed by Heather Ross, that I bought years ago. Quilters actually cut up these pajamas and use the fabric in quilting projects, and you can purchase them through places like Etsy. Just do a search for "Munki Munki fabric" and you'll find it!

      Delete
  2. My grandson Byron would love this! Grandma will love making him one even more! :) Thanks for sharing the idea.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very nice pillows. Very cheery! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

Aren't you the sweetest for leaving a comment! Due to all the ads that bombard this section, I have to moderate everything first, but look for your comment to post in a day or two. Thanks so much for writing!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...