Monday, February 13, 2017

Sweetie Pie Sew Along: Pear Block

Lori Holt's Sweetie Pie Quilt: Pear Block Pillow by Heidi Staples of Fabric Mutt

When I signed up to be on the Sweetie Pie Sew Along tour a few months back, I decided to go with the pear block because a) it looked simple and b) my husband (who loves to work on his vegetable garden and small fruit orchard in his spare time) has been informed that our part of Texas is pear country. It just seemed like the way to go...

Lori Holt's Sweetie Pie Quilt: Pear Block Pillow by Heidi Staples of Fabric Mutt

Lori has a such a genius for themes in her books and patterns. I love the way she took a traditional Dresden plate block and put her own spin on things: i.e. the Dresden circles are "pies" which we "fill" with the fruit applique...so clever. We were asked to use Riley Blake/Penny Rose fabrics for our block, and I had a ball picking out a rainbow of prints for mine. It was so hard to narrow it down to what you see here!

Lori Holt's Sweetie Pie Quilt: Pear Block Pillow by Heidi Staples of Fabric Mutt

I never would have guessed that a Dresden would turn out to be one of my favorite quilt blocks. It always looked too complicated to me in the past, but I've been surprised by how forgiving it is. There's really no stress over matching up seams, and since I do all my embroidery and applique by machine, it comes together pretty quickly. Using a cream colored thread works so well on light colored fabrics because it easily blends into the print and reflects the background color, looking as though you took the time to match the color of your thread to each fabric. I stitched everything down onto a linen square -- patchwork and linen are ALWAYS a match made in heaven -- and it makes another fun pillow to add to my growing stash.

Lori Holt's Sweetie Pie Quilt: Pear Block Pillow by Heidi Staples of Fabric Mutt

I couldn't resist adding a little apple tag to the right side of the pillow to keep the fruit theme going.

Lori Holt's Sweetie Pie Quilt: Pear Block Pillow by Heidi Staples of Fabric Mutt

You can get the whole scoop on the Sweetie Pie Quilt at Lori's blog right here as well, along with a peek at the bazillion amazing projects she always seems to have in the works.

Happy sewing, friends!

5 comments:

  1. This is so cute!! The background is perfect for your Dresden block!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I super love this!!! Dresdens are fun aren't they? They do look hard but are really sew simple:)
    Thanks so much for taking a turn during our sew along!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your block is so cute! I love pears...they are one of my favorite fruits!
    I just found out how easy a Dresden Plate block can be also. I have joined a group doing a block a month on Facebook and I figured it would help me learn new skills. The block gave me the Dresden Plate and applique experience!
    It will be fun watching your blocks as you go!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is so cute. I love Dresden plate blocks too and some day hope to make a whole quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  5. great designs and nice artwork cushion work is really nice and colorful designs looks reaaly impressive and attractive

    ReplyDelete

Aren't you the sweetest for leaving a comment! Due to all the ads that bombard this section, I have to moderate everything first, but look for your comment to post in a day or two. Thanks so much for writing!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...