Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Playing Hooky


I had the most fabulous time visiting with my dear friend Beth of Plum & June today here in Southern California. My wonderful husband stayed home with the girls, and I got to spend a few hours walking around the darling shops in Laguna Beach with a fellow quilter.  I haven't had the chance to play hooky like this in a while, and it was such a treat.


The bag you see above was a little gift I made for Beth. I whipped it up last night using Jeni Baker's famous pattern and a new patchwork cheater print by Suzuko Koseki.


The accent on the top is On a String in black from Valentina, the string is a simple black and white stripe, and the inside is a sewing notions print that I love. It was the perfect size for holding a little stack of fabric goodies. I will definitely be making more of these great little bags.

Inspiration was all around us this morning. I could have taken so many more pictures...and did actually except that Beth was good enough to point out to me the "please don't take pictures" signs to keep me out of trouble when I was blithely snapping photos everywhere. This is why I need a keeper with me at all times...


I love the colors of the shells and coral on these napkins.


How cute are these knitted friends??


A sweet little flower stand. The glass bottle vases hanging from the ceiling were gorgeous, and I love those simple white daisies in the middle. Call me cliche, but I agree with Meg Ryan in You've Got Mail: daisies are the friendliest flower. Okay, now I have to go find that movie...

I love being a stay-at-home mom, and I don't take it for granted that we can afford for me to spend this time with our girls as they're growing up. But being at home with three little ones every day -- with no car at my disposal, yet -- can get a little lonely as some of you know. Having the opportunity to get out and spend time with someone else who understands exactly where I'm coming from is a gift that I don't take lightly. This day definitely gets tucked away in my "happy" file.

13 comments:

  1. Sounds like a lovely day! So nice to hang out with a quilty friend too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh how lovely. A day with a quilty friend ; )

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love those drawstring bags! I made 4 in a week after my first one :) they're just so simple and pretty! I love the fabric on yours! Sounds like a really wonderful day :) glad you got.to get out and about with a good friend! Everyone needs that now and again!

    ReplyDelete
  4. ahh! Very nice you had a day out and about and could meet up with Beth!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks like you had a fabulous day, it's a real treat, i'm off to spend the day with my quilty friend today, and I can't wait, yay! Love the little drawstring pouch, another of the growing "must do" list! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh what a perfect day! I am a stay at home mum too, I so I treasure days to myself, and even more when they involve quilting friends! Love the bag by the way, it's gorgeous :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your bag is adorable and I am sooo glad that you had so much fun! I agree those days can be few and far between but definitely worth it when they do happen:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. cute bag! Sounds like lots of fun, I totally agree with you about being a mum and about daisies!! That's my favourite flower and my favourite film!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a wonderful visit you must have had. I love the bag you made. One of these days I'll grab Cindy and drive down to meet you......treat you to lunch!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very cute bag! How great that you had the chance to meet Beth in person and hang out with her for a little bit. You look very pretty sporting your new bag on the IG picture she posted.
    PS. I agree with you and Meg Ryan Daysies are the friendliest flowers! Oh no! Now I feel I need to watch You've Got Mail again (for the 1000th time).

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh how wonderful to be able to spend time with a quilty friend! I'm so glad you had the chance to do that! Maybe one day we will be at the same place at the same time! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a wonderful day! I particularly love your last paragraph - so honest and grateful.

    ReplyDelete

Aren't you the sweetest for leaving a comment! Due to all the ads that bombard this section, I have to moderate everything first, but look for your comment to post in a day or two. Thanks so much for writing!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...