Hello, dear friends! I can't tell you how happy it makes me to be back in this space again after such a long time. I almost don't know where to begin, so I'm going to just list a few things on my mind this afternoon...
1. I'm going to start blogging again. I've been missing the creative side of things for a while now -- writing, sewing, etc. -- but I wasn't exactly sure what to do about it. I have zero desire to jump back into marketing and social media which brought so much stress to my former life, but I've been feeling a real yearning for the old days over a decade ago when everyone was sewing and blogging for the fun of it. Spending a little time each day with my favorite blogs was like dropping in on a few friends for coffee and a long, friendly chat. Things have never been quite the same since everyone moved over to social media. So I've decided to be old fashioned and return to my blogging roots because that's what I really love. I'm looking forward to being on here more often in the days ahead.
2. I have a new puppy. Last fall we lost our two precious dogs, Fritz and Emma, to cancer over the space of only a few months. It was absolutely devastating, and I can't tell you what an empty hole it left in our hearts. Thankfully, we were able to bring a new puppy into our home at the start of the Christmas season to help all of us start to heal again. Sam's official name is actually Samwise Gamgee (my husband just finished reading all of Tolkien's Lord of the Rings books to us in the evenings), and the name is a perfect fit for this guy. He's a 5 1/2 month old bundle of energy and a ton of work -- like having a baby in the house again, honestly -- but we just couldn't love him more.
3. Little Joe is all grown up. My rescue kitten is a cat full of attitude nowadays. He especially loves the girls who stop by his room to play with him at all hours of the day. I don't know that he'll ever forgive me for all those baths I gave him when he was little and we were trying to keep the dander allergies at bay, but I love him just the same. He's perfectly content to spend his days perched on the ledge where he can survey the world outside the second floor windows.
4. The girls are all teenagers now. Still trying to wrap my brain around this one. For all the challenges that come with helping your kids grow up, there's nothing so wonderful as raising kids that are a delight to be with each day. These girls and their daddy can make me laugh like no one else, and our family time in the evenings -- eating dinner, reading books aloud, watching old movies or shows, and ending with prayer -- is absolutely the best part of my day.
5. My sister's family moved to Texas. I can't even begin to tell you what a total game changer this has been for us. Having my sister, her husband, and her two girls living only 20 minutes away is AMAZING, and my parents are over the moon to have all of their children and grandchildren together again. Sunday dinners after church, the girls' new "cousin clubhouse" in my sister's backyard, using every holiday on the calendar as an excuse to throw another party at one of our houses -- it's been a year of joy having them close by, and I couldn't be more grateful.
6. Sewing is slow these days, but it still makes me so happy. I've been working on a stack of Greek Cross quilt blocks for the last few months from this book by Suzuko Koseki, hoping to finally make the king size quilt that's been on my bucket list all these years. I don't have nearly so much time in my sewing room as I used to, but I still enjoy every chance I get to play in there. Though I still love my small projects, I've been trying to spend more time on quilts this year, and I have a list of projects I hope to start in the months ahead.
Thanks for listening, friends. It's so good to be back.
Welcome back! You've been missed, but the break has given you time to re-evaluate things and find a balance. I'm so glad for you. Enjoy your family!ReplyDelete
How lovely to see you blogging again! There are not so many of the old blogs around anymore but I always enjoy the detail blogs communicate- far better than Instagram. I love your new pup- he has such a sweet face. Welcome back to blogland!ReplyDelete
Yay! I love to start my day reading blogs and so glad to have you jump back in.ReplyDelete
Oh Heidi, it is so good to see you return to blogging! How I have missed your gentle spirit!ReplyDelete
So happy you're back! It will be fun to continue to watch your progress.ReplyDelete
Welcome back! Like you, I find the whole social media trend to be superficial and false. Of course, not all posters are like this, but the Me-Me culture has no appeal for me. By monetizing every creative effort, so many have just replaced one stressful behavior for another. Of course, many now make their living with their social media and I appreciate how much work is involved in that. I have mixed feelings about it I suppose but all in all I mostly only follow blogs, sewing blogs! I am looking forward to seeing your work. Your pup is a sweet heart, nothing like a puppy to keep you busyReplyDelete
So happy you will be back to blogging again Heidi! So, sorry about the pain of losing two of your pets. We still miss ours. Loved hearing all your updates, since your last blog post. Looking forward to many more.ReplyDelete
Welcome back Heidi! I am sew happy to see you back in this space. We just moved across the country to be back home in NC near our children and grandchildren and so I know how happy it makes you to have the whole family in one place.ReplyDelete
So glad to see you back here!ReplyDelete
So nice to see you back! I'm with you, I enjoy reading blogs, rather than the quick fire of social media.ReplyDelete
I was just thinking of you the other day, wishing you were still blogging, so I'm delighted to see you back! Little Joe!! He's so grown up! My daughter just got a pointer lab pup (11 weeks old to date) and I know what you mean about all the work (he's at her apartment, not with me, thank goodness). Can't believe the girls are teens, how is that possible? I commend your hubs on reading LOTR - I did that with our family too; it's one of our favorite memories!ReplyDelete
I'm glad you're back too! I love your blog and hearing about your family and sewing projects.ReplyDelete
Oh my gosh!!! I am absolutely thrilled to see you here again!! You have been missed!!ReplyDelete
Like everyone else I am so glad you are back. I really missed people writing their blogs. I enjoy reading a blog rather then going to social media.ReplyDelete
Welcome back!! I too used to blog "just for the fun if it" but I feel so intimidated by all the social media. Bravo for going against the trends and returning to what you enjoy.ReplyDelete
Welcome back sweet lady! Let us know if we can help in your journey back. ~ Michelle from Sew SpecialReplyDelete
I must say Welcome bank dear one. Being 61 I also like the slower things. Have tried facebook and found it takes too much of resources for my internet. They spy on us even in our messages so what is the use to subject myself to that. I whole heartedly support you in reconnecting and encouraging family time. Glad you attend church too. That can be a source of life as well. Be well always.ReplyDelete
It made me so happy to see your name in my In Box! And to read an update that was just glowing with happiness--what a delight. I send condolences over the loss of your beloved Emma and Fritz, and a warm welcome to Sam, who has clearly brought so much energy to the household (as pups will do...). So glad you're back.ReplyDelete
Your puppy looks so sweet. We lost our dog of 15 years so bgt a beagle puppy last April. She has been a challenge at our age but we love her. I have thought about trying to blog again too. Miss the interaction with commenters but have CFS and don't know if I will do it or not. I stopped with just trying to keep up to things. Enjoyed reading yours. NancyReplyDelete
It's so good to hear form you again! I can't believe your girls are teenagers already! Wow! How time flies!!! Glad to hear you are doing well, and what a wonderful thing that your sister and family have moved close by! Wonderful!! Hugs, HReplyDelete
Life gets busy. It is nearly impossible to keep up with everything.ReplyDelete
I am happy you are going to blog again. Yours is one of my favorite because it is always positive. I am glad your family is close now and parties all the time are so good
So pleased you are back. I have been on hiatus this year because we are moving - but once we settle in the new house, I'll be back at it. I agree with your thoughts on blogging vs social media.ReplyDelete
I know what you mean about being near your sister. We are moving up to WA and I will be close to so much family. I can't wait!!
This is wonderful news! I'm so glad the pull of no-agenda blogging has brought you back. I struggle with social media and finding that balance as well. Blogging is still my favorite thing! I look forward to your updates on family and sewing time.ReplyDelete
Delightful to hear from you!ReplyDelete
So wonderful to see a new entry! i am so glad to read you and i echo your sentiments. Much love from Arizona.ReplyDelete
I am so, so happy to see that you are blogging again. It looks like life has been good to you lately and that also makes me happy for you. I look forward to seeing what you create in the future. Enjoy it.ReplyDelete
You have absolutely made me day. I've missed you so much. Welcome back!!ReplyDelete
It is so wonderful to have you back Heidi! I have really missed you!! Your blog posts would always brighten my day and this one is no exception. As you mentioned it’s like chatting and catching up with your dear friends over coffee. I’m looking forward to more catch-ups with you sweet friend xxReplyDelete
So glad to see you back! I totally agree about blogs being so much more fun than social media. And congrats on your new puppy-love his name!ReplyDelete
What a wonderful surprise to see you back again. I have checked every so often in the past hoping I would see a new post. Life is funny, interesting and a huge challenge at times and it is admired that you realized a change was in order. Time to reflect, take a breath and reorganize. Good for you!ReplyDelete
Your new dog is a beauty! How fun! I pulled one of your books out the other day and went thru it marking everything that I wanted to make this year. So much beauty and inspiration.
Welcome back, your sweet smile, honesty and kindness has been missed.
Welcome back Heidi! Sometimes "old fashioned" is just what we need. So pleased to read about all that life has brought you in your time away. My heart breaks for you on hearing the news about your beloved Fritz and Emma. There aren't enough words of comfort to share. Seeing little Joe is a treat. I honestly have often wondered how he was doing. Thank you for sharing with us all again. ����ReplyDelete
So nice you are back and life is good!ReplyDelete
C'est un grand bonheur que vous soyez de retour Heidi!ReplyDelete