Monday, January 6, 2020

Sew Cute Fruit Pouch

Sew Cute Quilts and Gifts by Atsuko Matsuyama for Zakka Workshop Fruit Pouch Sewed by Heidi Staples of Fabric Mutt

I've been influenced by zakka -- the Japanese concept of making pretty, practical items to beautify your everyday life -- since I first started sewing back in 2011. This has led me to spend a lot of time finding books and fabric by Japanese designers, which are full of wonderful inspiration in this area. My latest purchase is Sew Cute Quilts and Gifts by Atsuko Matsuyama. I had already bought a copy of the book from my favorite online shop Sunny Day Supply when I got an email from Lindsay at Zakka Workshop asking if I would be interested in joining the book tour, so the timing was perfect. I'm eternally grateful to Zakka Workshop, which has taken so many wonderful Japanese craft books and translated them into English so that even more people can enjoy them.

Sew Cute Quilts and Gifts by Atsuko Matsuyama for Zakka Workshop Fruit Pouch Sewed by Heidi Staples of Fabric Mutt

For my project, I chose the round fruit pouch, because I had never made a pouch like this before. This is one of the things I love about Japanese sewing books: they always seem to be full of interesting techniques that I haven't tried yet. I was pleased with how easily the pouch came together, including the applique on the front, which is something I don't get the chance to do very often. Thankfully my dear friends Mary and Shawn at Sunny Day Supply had the zipper I needed in stock, and they were kind enough to send me the leaves and flower for applique as well. Be sure to check out their shop this month, because they're going to have all kinds of wonderful supplies for the projects in this book on hand if you need them!

Sew Cute Quilts and Gifts by Atsuko Matsuyama for Zakka Workshop Fruit Pouch Sewed by Heidi Staples of Fabric Mutt

The back of the pouch was supposed to be a four square block, but I fell so completely in love with this new print by my friend Elea Lutz (of which I'll be sharing more with you next month during her fabric tour!), that I just couldn't resist using it all in one piece. I used the tiny floral print from my Date Night collection for the lining and binding on the pouch which gave a nice continuity from the outside to the inside of the project. I love the color and small scale of this print, and I'm going to be so sad when I run out of it!

Sew Cute Quilts and Gifts by Atsuko Matsuyama for Zakka Workshop Fruit Pouch Sewed by Heidi Staples of Fabric Mutt

The hardest part of this project by far was sewing in the zipper by hand. The directions were perfectly clear and helpful, mind you. I'm just not used to putting a zipper in this way, and it took me a few tries to get my stitches right. Once I got in the swing of it, though, it came together nicely.

Sew Cute Quilts and Gifts by Atsuko Matsuyama for Zakka Workshop Fruit Pouch Sewed by Heidi Staples of Fabric Mutt

I'm so pleased with this sweet little pouch, and it feels great to tuck a few more skills under my crafty belt. The book is chock full of adorable projects featuring more techniques that I haven't tried, so I'm probably going to be pulling this title off the shelf now and then in the next year whenever I want to learn something new. If you're on Instagram, be sure to stop by my post to leave a comment so that you can be entered to win a copy of this book for yourself. I really think you'll like this one.

3 comments:

  1. That is really cute! I can understand why you are enjoying the book, and that fabric is so feminine and pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful little pouch Heidi: you did a great job on it! Hugs, H

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your attention to detail is lovely. I was wondering about the round curve and the zipper. Interesting. I think the book sounds wonderful.

    ReplyDelete

Aren't you the sweetest for leaving a comment! Due to all the ads that bombard this section, I have to moderate everything first, but look for your comment to post in a day or two. Thanks so much for writing!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...