Monday, August 5, 2013

Fat Quarterly Feature: Charlotte Travel Bag


Issue 14 of the Fat Quarterly online magazine came out today, which means that I can finally share the project that kept me company all summer: my Charlotte Travel Bag. I designed this bag back in June using some leather yarn dyed Essex linen and a gorgeous bundle of Bijoux that Bari J sent to me. I love to bring sewing projects along when I travel, but usually a sewing kit alone isn't large enough to hold everything I need to keep me busy for, say, a week. This bag has room for it all, along with a detachable cross body strap for hands free carrying. It also has a fold over top (similar to my recent Rosette Clutch), pockets galore, and a few pieces of hardware, but really it's just a big fancy zipper pouch.


As for the name? My husband and I had been watching some of our favorite Jane Austen movies back at the end of spring. I was thinking about this bag one night when I recalled that scene from Pride and Prejudice (the iconic Colin Firth version, of course) where Lizzie has come to visit her newlywed friend Charlotte. Charlotte is explaining how her husband stays busy elsewhere most of the time while she enjoys spending the day quietly in her own sitting room. "I find that I can bear the solitude quite cheerfully," she says with a meaningful smile.


While I am blessed with a far superior husband to that of fictional Charlotte, I can certainly appreciate a few quiet moments with my needle and thread and the goodies I've been packing in this happy bag. If you'd like to do the same, you can purchase your copy of Fat Quarterly's summer issue here.

21 comments:

  1. LOVE Pride and Prejudice. LOVE the bag. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your bag and love Jane Austen :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. A very cute bag, love everything about it!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's such a fancy project bag!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow this bag is adorable heidi! I just love it and Colin Firth,,I mean jane Austen.
    xo jan

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats on the feature in FQ, Heidi! The bag is lovely! Off to check out the latest issue...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Heidi.....your bag is fabulous! I'm off to buy my issue.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cute and congrats on the feature.

    ReplyDelete
  9. so lovely - and you have a husband who will watch Jane Austen with you! My husband refuses to so that is what I watch when he is away!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely bag! Love how you came up with the name for it too!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've been waiting for this since you dropped a hint when I commented on the kids bags! When I looked at FQ yesterday I though AHA!, that is what she was talking about. Fab bag and I love the name. I love P&P (and it has to be Colin's version) so I know the scene well.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful bag Heidi!! Congrats on being included in Fat Quarterly as well.
    Amanda

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congrats Heidi! Beautiful bag. I've never seen the movie-gasp-I know!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm certainly very happy to read this blog site posts which carries plenty of helpful data, thanks for providing such information.http://www.firebirdtours.com/finland.html

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your blog is extremely brilliant especially the quality content is really appreciable.Phuket Villa Retreats

    ReplyDelete
  16. I will prefer this blog because it has much more informative stuff.
    bundle home and auto insurance

    ReplyDelete
  17. This blog Info is fabulous; I must wanna see best more from your writers.Koh Samui restaurants chaweng

    ReplyDelete

Aren't you the sweetest for leaving a comment! Due to all the ads that bombard this section, I have to moderate everything first, but look for your comment to post in a day or two. Thanks so much for writing!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...