Monday, February 25, 2013

Color Study

patchwork color study baby quilt

If there is anything I regret most about not starting my sewing career sooner, it's that I didn't get to sew for my daughters before they were born. What fun it would have been to make baby quilts and bibs, tiny dresses and stroller blankets while dreaming of the little ones on the way. Thankfully the parade hasn't completely passed me by -- I've had the chance to make several baby quilts for friends and family this year. The one you see above was a quick finish. I cut out the pieces last night and sewed them together today. I'm calling this one Color Study.


I had so much fun choosing the prints for the charm squares. There's a lot of Denyse Schmidt in there -- I just can't help gravitating toward her beautiful fabrics -- but you'll find a number of other designers represented here as well. The center print is a wonderful text print from the new Field Notes collection which I happened to see at Fat Quarter Shop, and I used a black tape measure print for the intersecting lines.


The back of the quilt is just three lines of fabric: more tape measures, a dot print from Bonnie & Camille's Marmalade collection, and ABC Critters from Mind Your P's and Q's by Keiki. That last one is such a perfect fit for a baby quilt -- how can you resist those darling little animals? I bound the quilt in a black and white Voltage Dot print from Chicopee by Denyse Schmidt.


I'm sorely tempted to keep this one for myself, but I'm content to know that it's going to a very good home.

Linking up to Sew Cute Tuesday & Fabric Tuesday.

16 comments:

  1. This is so very beautiful Heidi! I love your use of colour, and butterflies have been a favourite of mine since I was a child so this quilt really sings to me. What a very lucky baby!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a beautiful quilt - such a gorgeous selection of fabrics :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's always hard to give beautiful quilts away :( Well done - good charm square picking, too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely and bright quilt for a baby! And be thankful you're learning a new skill while you're still as young as you are...the older you get, the harder it becomes to learn new things (take it from one who knows!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is such a great mix of fabrics. Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the bright colors accented with the black.. I have a lot of the black tape measuring fabric, so glad I bought it now, because it looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love all of the prints you used, Heidi! It's beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  8. what a sweet little quilt, Heidi. BTW, I missed being able to sew for my girls when they were little, now they are big and oh so very picky :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very cute! I love this layout for a baby quilt--might have to remember this one (lots of baby quilts on my horizon...) How big is it? I'm guessing about 40" x 40"?

    That alphabet fabric on the back is too adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Another lovely quilt Heidi, and I love the black measuring tape print :o)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Absolutely gorgeous quilt! I love how the prints are nature based to match the centre print. Very clever!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love mod baby quilts, ones that aren't so pastel. Great finish! I'm sure it will get lots of love.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I NEED to start making the quilt I keep talking about. I think fear is holding my back. I don't like things not being perfect the first time I make them.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is a gorgeous quilt, Heidi. I love the idea of 4-6 blocks of color with a dark border. Maybe a similar quilt is in my future!

    ReplyDelete

Aren't you the sweetest for leaving a comment! Due to all the ads that bombard this section, I have to moderate everything first, but look for your comment to post in a day or two. Thanks so much for writing!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...